cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem

N/A

Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem

My ADSL has just been activated, but when I try accessing using it I get an error 721 (The connection could not be established because the remote computer did not respond to the connection request.)

The Pluset website advises the following settings:
Data circuit information: VPI = 0 (Virtual Path Identifier)
VCI = 38 (Virtual Channel Identifier)
Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA
PPP properties: VC Multiplexed

The modem defaulted the VPI to 8 and the VCI to 35. I couldn't seem to alter these other than changing an ini file in the setup. I can't find a setting for Data Link Encapsulation (there is an EncapsulationMode entry set to 1) or the PPP properties.

Has anyone else got one of these modems and managed to configure it themselves (I am using XP)?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Martin
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem

> My ADSL has just been activated, but when I try accessing using it I get an error 721 (The connection could not be established because the remote computer did not respond to the connection request.)
>
> The Pluset website advises the following settings:
> Data circuit information: VPI = 0 (Virtual Path Identifier)
> VCI = 38 (Virtual Channel Identifier)
> Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA
> PPP properties: VC Multiplexed
>
> The modem defaulted the VPI to 8 and the VCI to 35. I couldn't seem to alter these other than changing an ini file in the setup. I can't find a setting for Data Link Encapsulation (there is an EncapsulationMode entry set to 1) or the PPP properties.
>
> Has anyone else got one of these modems and managed to configure it themselves (I am using XP)?
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin.

I have the same modem and I can't find the manual configuration menu either. Mine automatically went to VPI 0 and VCI 38. Did you buy it from abroad or something that it might have different settings?

Asim.
N/A

Asim

Thanks for a quick response!

I bought the modem from Ebay - I think it's originated from America. Some of the ini files on the CD refer to Bell South.

As mentioned above, I've changed two entries in one of the ini files which has set the VPI & VCI settings correctly.

There's a file called "phonebook.ini" on the CD. Anychance you could send me the copy from your CD?

E-mail is postmaster@thegriersons.plus.com

Cheers

Martin

N/A

Problem now sorted - thanks to Asim! Connected on ADSL - now to find out what all the fuss is about ;0)
N/A

> Problem now sorted - thanks to Asim! Connected on ADSL - now to find out what all the fuss is about ;0)

Glad to be of help Martin. Now I'm hoping I can join you in finding out the fuss about ADSL on Monday when my line should start working (should have been working since 3rd August!) when my local exchange is visited by a BT engineer.

Regards,
Asim.