cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ahhh! Success! But is it fast enough?

N/A

Ahhh! Success! But is it fast enough?

Hi!

Firstly I want to extend my gratitude and thanks to Plusnet - activated after 12 days, just when I was about to raise a polite enquiry! Connected first time every time so far and I'm absolutely loving adsl. I know it's a cliche, but if anyone out there is waiting - be patient it's definitely worth it.

My only quibble is this: I've run a number of broadband speed tests on my connection and they tend to average out at between 150-300kbps. I realise it's impossible to get the full 512kbps but I've been told 90% of that is not unrealistic.

I hate to sound greedy, but are there any tweaks that work (using XP Pro and an iTex PCI card from solwise.co.uk)? Also, I've heard a little bit about something called DACSHuh What is this? And if it is on my line would that lead to slower speeds?

Do plusnet themselves have a speed test I could take?

Sorry to ask so many questions but hopefully any answers may help other users.

Alexander
--
http://www.akpcep.com
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Ahhh! Success! But is it fast enough?

> Hi!
>
> Firstly I want to extend my gratitude and thanks to Plusnet - activated after 12 days, just when I was about to raise a polite enquiry! Connected first time every time so far and I'm absolutely loving adsl. I know it's a cliche, but if anyone out there is waiting - be patient it's definitely worth it.
>
> My only quibble is this: I've run a number of broadband speed tests on my connection and they tend to average out at between 150-300kbps. I realise it's impossible to get the full 512kbps but I've been told 90% of that is not unrealistic.
>
> I hate to sound greedy, but are there any tweaks that work (using XP Pro and an iTex PCI card from solwise.co.uk)? Also, I've heard a little bit about something called DACSHuh What is this? And if it is on my line would that lead to slower speeds?
>
> Do plusnet themselves have a speed test I could take?
>
> Sorry to ask so many questions but hopefully any answers may help other users.
>
> Alexander
>
> --
> http://www.akpcep.com

Hi,

We don't have a speed test available but I would say the best indication of the speed of the connection is the speed you get when downloading. Try getting a file from our file vault and see what speed you get.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

N/A

If you have adsl then you dont have to worry about DACS which was BT's cheapskate way of turning a single voice
line into 2 voice lines, any DACS box that was on your line will have been removed to provide you with the ADSL.

A nifty tweaking tool is TCPOptimizer which can be obtained over at www.speedguide.net its specially geared to DSL.
They also have an online analyzer to check your tcp seetings.

Speed tests can be carried out over at www.adslguide.org.

I normally get between 420 - 450 download and 200 upload.

Hope this is of some help.

Alistair
N/A

If you have adsl then you dont have to worry about DACS which was BT's cheapskate way of turning a single voice
line into 2 voice lines, any DACS box that was on your line will have been removed to provide you with the ADSL.

A nifty tweaking tool is TCPOptimizer which can be obtained over at www.speedguide.net its specially geared to DSL.
They also have an online analyzer to check your tcp seetings.

Speed tests can be carried out over at www.adslguide.org.

I normally get between 420 - 450 download and 200 upload.

Hope this is of some help.

Alistair
N/A

> If you have adsl then you dont have to worry about DACS which was BT's cheapskate way of turning a single voice
> line into 2 voice lines, any DACS box that was on your line will have been removed to provide you with the ADSL.
>
> A nifty tweaking tool is TCPOptimizer which can be obtained over at www.speedguide.net its specially geared to DSL.
> They also have an online analyzer to check your tcp seetings.
>
> Speed tests can be carried out over at www.adslguide.org.
>
> I normally get between 420 - 450 download and 200 upload.
>
> Hope this is of some help.
>
> Alistair

I am getting the same problem, most of the time my connection produces slower speeds around 190k to 340k. This not always the case and I also have problems not being able to ping or trace routes to other site !
N/A

;I am getting the same problem, most of the time my ;connection produces slower speeds around 190k to ;340k. This not always the case and I also have ;problems not being able to ping or trace routes to ;other site !

A lot of sites will not let you ping or traceroute to them as they delibrately block incoming ICMP packets for security and DOS avoidance purposes.
I myself have this set on firewall.

The 2 main sites I use are news.bbc.co.uk which averages 35ms ping and www.cnn.com which is about 110-130ms ping times most game servers such as jolt or barrysworld will allow you to ping them.

Also if you have RADSL(adsl over extended distances but lower speed) and other users(contention) on your exchange these will also lower your speeds.

Luckily i live in a not so high tech area (this does not mean squalor Smiley and suspect their are few others if any on my exchange with adsl long may this remain so Smiley

Ali
N/A

> ;I am getting the same problem, most of the time my ;connection produces slower speeds around 190k to ;340k. This not always the case and I also have ;problems not being able to ping or trace routes to ;other site !
>
> A lot of sites will not let you ping or traceroute to them as they delibrately block incoming ICMP packets for security and DOS avoidance purposes.
> I myself have this set on firewall.
>
> The 2 main sites I use are news.bbc.co.uk which averages 35ms ping and www.cnn.com which is about 110-130ms ping times most game servers such as jolt or barrysworld will allow you to ping them.
>
> Also if you have RADSL(adsl over extended distances but lower speed) and other users(contention) on your exchange these will also lower your speeds.
>
> Luckily i live in a not so high tech area (this does not mean squalor Smiley and suspect their are few others if any on my exchange with adsl long may this remain so Smiley
>
> Ali

Good point!

we seem to have a few more users round here, if the fluctuation in speeds is anything to go by. Still happy to recommend PlusNet to my friends - just so long as they are on a different exchange! For anyone a bit too local, may I recommend cable ;-) Just hope PlusNet don't introduce a deferrals scheme though, with a surcharge imposed for every potential punter you warn off locally in a vain attempt to try and preserve bandwidth!

As if I'd be so selfish... Smiley