cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on which Router to buy

N/A

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before (I did a quick check and couldn't find anything). I'm after a router with built in switch (4 port probably). I think there is a Solwise one which is meant to be quite good. Has anyone any other recomendations?

TIA.
R.
25 REPLIES
N/A

try here, there should be some reviews on 4 port routers
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/
N/A

Thanks for this.... however I've already had a look and wondered if there was anywhere else that might have good reviews. It looks like I might go for the Solwise 715 although it's been out for a long time and I thought there might be something newer/better.
reviewed here:
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/2002/q3/sar_715.asp

Thanks again.
R.
N/A

you after a pure router or a router and modem combined?
N/A

Router and ADSL modem combined.
N/A

ive always liked D-link models, ( im using a DSL 500 at the moment)
i think the D-Link DI-704P 4-Port Broadband Router w/Print Server
for £64 is apretty good, ( work used it for a while until we needed 300 switch instead of 4)
Spec - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?SupplierID=7&ProductID=556

there is a few on here also - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?ShopGroupID=12&CategoryID=2

i have heard good things about the solwise, i dont know if it has upgradable firmware, but if it does, you should be good for about 3/4 years i think Smiley

hope im helping

marc
N/A

ah right, ignore that last post then, as i didnt see your last post, all; i have just give you is a bunch of routers with no modems sorry

marc
N/A

Router and ADSL modem combined.

I have looked around a bit and recommend the Netgear DG814
£92 from Dabs

Works atreat;

Paul
http://www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
N/A

The Netgear Dg814 is fantastic. Simple, web-based config and a fast, capable modem router with 4 port switch.

I'm using one right now.

And you can get it cheaper than Dabs...........

*cough* e *cough* buyer *cough* Wink

J
N/A

For what is worth I am also using a Netgear DG814, configuration was a breeze and performance can't be faulted.

Cheers
HartPD

I also use a Netgear DG814 - PC, Xbox and Laptop. Works fine, without any problems.
N/A

Need I say that I'm using one as well? Wink
Can't comment on the console compatibility due to the Gamecube's lack of online games really however it seems to work fine with my 4 pcs. Smiley
Community Veteran

At work, I have set up a Netgear DG814, and at home I use the plusnet-provided Solwise SAR110.

The DG814 has come into its own with the last two revisions of the firmware (4.7 and 4.8, iirc). With the ability to use incoming VPN portmapping, and a whole slew of features (like automatic configuration detection) which make your life easier, its a hell of a piece of kit and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The SAR110 is a lot more complicated, and not for the faint hearted. That being said, it is also a whole lot more flexible that the DG814 for those of you that want to 'cheat' with your IP blocks, or set up a decent number of portmaps.

Barry
N/A

Yes, the only thing i dislike about the dg814 is only being able to specify 10 port blocks for port forwarding... however the recent addition of UPnP has helped things greatly in that area.. now only if progs would start supporting upnp...
N/A

HI all,
Thnx for all the replys so far... some useful advice.
I suppose I should clarify what I want to use it for:

Primarily I'll be using my Broadband connection to allow a couple of computers to access the internet (browsing, Messenger, IRC etc). I'm quite heavily into Online Games (CS mainly) so I need something that doesn't have any known issues with that.

I'm fairly computer literate, so don't mind messing around with settings but I'd be the 1st to admit that I don't know a great deal about networking, firewalls etc...

Ideally I'd like something that was easy to set up but offered a good level of protection from external nasty script kiddies and also allowed the computers on my LAN (only two for now) to access the usual range of services on the internet. I've also had a Linux box running a server for CS in the past and it's something I'd like to do again in the future (The box was not on my premises, I just had permission to run the server from it)......

These are all fairly common things but I'd thought I'd be more precise with what I aim to do in case it makes recommending a Router-Modem-Switch to me.

Thanks again,
R.