cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on what Modem to get on a 2meg Package

N/A

i got 2 meg package,,,i got a internal PCI Dynalink Conectant chipset modem..

i got via chipset on motherboard...266FSB

whats the best modem to get,,,the reconects not a major problem,,,i would just like to be ALLWAYS ON....its the click click click and the outlook emails goes crasy,,when it conects in the middle of trying to get my emails...
thanks
chrisSmiley
ps plusnet engineers should tell us the best modem to use for our 2MEG
Cheesy

ps i am only useing 1 computer to access the interent,,,,in the future i will be useing 2 computers,,,,but i dont want a router,,,all i want is a internal pci modem,,,,maybe if i buy the dearest internal modem there is this might help Smiley
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

A router really is the best way to go if you want it to be always on, modems generally wont do because they are bound by resitrictions in the computers hardware etc. Dont forget expensive doesnt necessarily mean it will be the best.

Chris
N/A

I have had no problems with my Eicon ADSL Diva USB modem (which I used for about 10 months before getting my router) apart from losing the installation CD and having problems finding the drivers online (their website denys the existence of that modem).
However from what I've learnt from these forums PCI modems are better than USB ones. fa55dsl is correct though. Routers are so much better than modems, PCI or USB.
N/A

Router is your best option for always on service; no contest vs any other alternative.
N/A

DG814 router

I use a netgear dg814 router on 2mbit service, works great V fast, just make sure you update the firmware to V4.7 (netgears website).
N/A

cheers fellas

can someone explain where i put the router,,,,

is it like a network hub kinda,,,,

i am thinking if all is good maybe get one of them netgear ones,,(roybunnting) Smiley cheers

does the router stay on even if the computer is off etc,,,so it will keep all my username password etc

i got a m8 at work ,he has that cable telwest broadband thing eww anyways he is trying to tell me he has no modem no password no username and no clicky clicky modem noises,,,hows this
N/A

Network routers come in many shapes and forms.

Some have built in hubs or switches (basicaly a hub) and some are only single port (thus need an aditional hub for more than one computer).

Yes, a router will remain on while your computer is off, and for the most part, remain connected, such that the connection is instantly available for any device requesting data from accross the internet.

Cable and ADSL are two totaly different technologies, just like ADSL is different from a normal modem.

With cable, you can only select from a single provider. This is the supplier of the cable franchise in that area. There engineer sets up your system, such that it is the ID number of your network card that states who you are.

From then on, this is how they recognise you (except on there website, where you still need a username and password).

With ADSL, you can select from a multitude of ISPs. Because of this, usernames and passwords are used. Part of the username is used to work out which ISP to connect you too.
N/A

no wonder your a moderator m8

cheers this is the answer ive been trying to explain to my m8 for the last 2 years

keep up the good work
chrisSmiley
N/A

Re: Advice on what Modem to get on a 2meg Package

,,,,maybe if i buy the dearest internal modem there is this might help Smiley

Yes, I believe you're right.

As it happens, I can supply the dearest, loveliest little internal modem that money can buy -- just what you're after, in fact!

Now, I can make it as dear as you want -- just how much are you willing to pay? Wink
N/A

hehehehehe thanks but i think i will give that a miss ,,,,cheers anyways.....hmmmm maybe you could put a couple on ebay
N/A

i can recommend the DG814 with the +Net 2 meg line .
runs very sweetly .
i still run Sygate firewall for added protection and this needed
quite a lot of fiddling with router vs firewall settings (for me anyway)

my best speed check
Downstream 1901 Kbps (237.6 KB/sec) 2053 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)