cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertised as 512k but really a 500kbps service?

N/A

Advertised as 512k but really a 500kbps service?

The advertised 512K service is a lie in itself.

Any ISP offering this service is a supplier of the BT IPStream Home (or BT IPStream 500)
product from BT Wholesale that is rated for max burst speeds of 500kbps according to:

http://www.btwholesale.com/broadband/supplier_ipstream_ho.asp

Hence 500kbps = 62.5kb/s which i have seen as my max speed at some point and never the full 512kbps = 64kb/s speed.

For £2 more a month, NTL can offer 600kbps and yes you do actually get the full 600kbps = 75KB/s download speed. Another 12.5KB/s over 62.5KB/s means you can download 15% more compared to ADSL per second, hmm... :|
5 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: Advertised as 512k but really a 500kbps service?

Not sure if this would count for anything but although my max speed for any one filemaxes out at 62kbps, I can download 4or 5 different files at the same time with a total of 80kbps bandwidth usage.
N/A

> Not sure if this would count for anything but although my max speed for any one filemaxes out at 62kbps, I can download 4or 5 different files at the same time with a total of 80kbps bandwidth usage.

This is based on a cumulative figure (filesize v's progress time), generated in the software in use.

Not all software bases it on the total time used so far, they will calculate it based on averages, using various teqniques, but assentialy, based on calculating how much data has been downloaded between 2 time points.

During the problems with Plus.Net, my data would somtimes come in bursts. Because of this, my download speeds display would show total values of 3MB/second, which is not possible, though the total amount of data flowing into my network card, was no more than 0.75MB/s (including other network traffic). The linux Kernal information has better information, regarding the flow iof data, so I am more than guessing 3MB/s isn't right.

The only way to tell the true speed of multiple downloads, is impossible by hand, as you could not acuratly record the data fast enough.

It would involved having multiple downloads running, marking down the current downloaded data size, for all files at a specific time (all at the same time), measuring the size after 60 seconds, and caluculating the speed/sec.

As for the 500 Mbit service, and not 512Mbit. This is true.

All inter-computer communications technology, has overheads. This ranges from error checking, addressing and other header information.

In ADSL, there are two lots of overheads. There is the ADSL packet header, and there is a the IP header information.

ADSL provider 512 bits to the consumer (after the ADSL headers, which can't be removed, without removing service). The rest of the missign data is used on other headers.
N/A

Hi,

BT broadband services are available in either IP Stream home 500 and in Ethernet products such as 500, 1000 and 2000 Kb/Sec.

The services are contended which means that the connection is a finite resource and may slow down at certain times due to multiple accounts downloading large files concurrently that are using the same local exchange.

In general it is always difficult to guarantee a specific data speed with DSL due to the variables involved can change at any time.

Best Regards,

Dave.
--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

If you want to know how much you are downloading at any 1 time there are programes that will do this for you, I use DU Meter for this, it has a free 30 trial and you can get it at the link below.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/downloads.asp
Grimbo
Grafter

> For £2 more a month, NTL can offer 600kbps and yes you do actually get the full 600kbps = 75KB/s download speed. Another 12.5KB/s over 62.5KB/s means you can download 15% more compared to ADSL per second, hmm... :|

...and their ping rate is twice as good. (Their upload is half what we get though).