cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages & disadvantages of LLU

N/A

It seems to me that LLU is both faster and cheaper, so why does not everyone who are on an LLU enabled exchange move to LLU? I assume there must be disadvantages, what are they?
Also am I correct in thinking that, as I am on a small country (hick?) exchange, it will never come here?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Why should it be faster? The Local Loop is exactly the same 'wiring' in both cases and so, as I see it, it'll only be 'faster' if the Network Provider (whoever that might be) has a 'faster' back-haul. And that would apply with or without LLU ...wouldn't it? :?:
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I think most or all the ISP's who have gone the LLU route are able to offer 8Mb/s ADSL now rather than having to wait for BT's trials to come to an end.

That's the only advantage I can see to LLU
N/A

My exchange is LLU by just about everyone and his dog. I am struggling to find a reason not to go across to freedom2surf with their 8MBit service for £3 more than premier at plusnet and pretty much the same facilities as plusnet offer.

I read that Plusnet are going with LLU but haven't signed the partner yet. Since the freedom2surf is with easynet I was hoping that Plusnet would jump in with them and offer 8MBit for the same price as the current premier but if the price is going to be that much more, plusnet are going to be losing customers. F2S also have a 10G package like all the pay as you go packages at plusnet for £20. That should suit most users at plusnet if the average is 10G per month.

They also mentioned that all the DSLAM's installed are ADSL2+ capable so they should be able to upgrade to up to 24MBit/s as as when they enable it. There was no mention of whether there would be a price hike for the uncapped service there but I would expect so.
Community Veteran

While their are indeed advantages to LLU, it does have its disadvatages too.

On my exchange I can go for any number of BT based ISPs eg PlusNet where I pay £18ish for my account before refferals and actually pay nothing and sometimes get a rebate.

Or I can go to Bulldog who are known to have a lot of problems and communicate them to thier customers a lot less than PlusNet do, anyone who regually reads ADSL guide will know of the problems they have had over the last 18 months or so.

Chris
craigbrass
Grafter

If PlusNet went with a partner for LLU, would the users who have 8 IP Blocks be able to keep these if they moved to PlusNet via LLU?
N/A

That would depend.

I would expect it would be down to the technical specification for the handoff of traffic between the LLU partner and PlusNet themselves.
craigbrass
Grafter

I see. Well PlusNet should be finding one that allow them the most control of the service, that way they can offer all the current services that they do to customers on BT products.