cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adsl Speed Question

Community Veteran

Adsl Speed Question

No, I was relating to the four posts you made to try and correct me and adp450. Smiley

Anyway, enough of this, we're going a bit off topic.

Thomas
21 REPLIES
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

Hi,

I'm new to adsl, i have been on Cable before.
Could someone tell me if i should be able to get my full up speed and down speed at the same time (full duplex).
I seem to get around full 2 mbit downstream (240 kbytes), but if i upload at the same time, my downstream cuts down to around 30 kbytes. Is this normal for adsl?

Thanks

Steve
Community Veteran

Adsl Speed Question

Yes, especially for RADSL. Remember, the A in ADSL stands for "asymmetric". You can get SDSL (symmetric) from some providers, but it is expensive.

Thomas
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

kruglin misses the point you should be able to upload at full speed 32K and download at your full speed (2 mbit in your case) at the same time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Adsl Speed Question

nope impossible as you need some of your bandwidth as a Over head buffer unless as kuglin says you want to pay for a SDSL aka T1 ie same speed up and down.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

(cont)
if the upload speed is fully at 32k then this can slow down the download a bit as you can not send confirmation of received packets of downloaded data as quick as you should ( as the UL bandwidth is swamped), so the sender knows to send the next bit of data to you

best to cap whatever you are uploading to say 28_30 k leaving a bit of banwidth that is the available to confirm reciepts of download data
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

your nit picking so its not 100% but near enough. and certainly its not right to tell this guy that it is going to be normal to download at 30 Kb/s of his 2mbit connection just coz hes uploading. so you set the upload cap to 30k well then if you want to be fussy you should be able to get about 96% of your upload speed while downloading at 96% of your full download speed.
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

and the guy didnt say about same speed in both direction that was not what he was talking about
Community Veteran

Adsl Speed Question

While we are on the subject of nit picking -
Once you have taken the contention ratio and general internet traffic and bottle necks into account you are unlikely to achieve this anyway. :p

Chris
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

I think that you should be getting close to ten percent below your quoted
upload and download speeds simultaneously allowing for buffers, for an
optimally working line.
So if you havn't try taking the speed test at www.dslreports.com ''our tools''
and whilst your at it try the their tweak test as your line might require some medicine from Dr TCP (at the same site).
Community Veteran

Adsl Speed Question

Crikey pengilly... no need to have a go at me! I made a simple reading mistake... Ok?

Thomas
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

saying "you missed the point" is having a go at you is it.
you sensitive chap
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

So should i be able to download at say 220 kbytes and up at 30kbytes at the same time ( a little less than max). If so maybe i have a setup problem? The reason i ask, is i was able to download and upload at about max speed when i was on cable before.

Thanks for the replies

Steve
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

You need to allow for buffers aswell as mentioned by ADP450. I suspect you have your Max MTU set at 1500. Take the tweak test and this will show. If so
set MTU RAS & MTU to 1430 and RWIN to 50040 (or any multiple of 1390 between 19460 & 50040) by downloading Dr TCP ( a simple file). If your MTU was originally 1500 you'll notice a big improvement. Otherwise you'll have to live with it.
Hope this helps.
AL
N/A

Adsl Speed Question

My results were both MTUs 1458 and rwin of 13900, i am unable to modify these atm, coz Dr tcp doesn't see my pci adsl modem. It sees my networkcard and an old network card that is no longer installed :?

Thanks

Steve