Adobe.com downloads continually fail

beskar
Grafter

(Hi - as requested, posting here.)

A weird one

PlusNet ADSL is fine for all downloads - except from Adobe.com. On eight
different PCs, on two different networks, each time I go to download a
biggie e.g. 50mb, the download times out after a variable amount of data.

This happens whatever the file (if it is a big file). Yet from a Zen ADSL
connection, no probs. Or from a Demon ADSL a/c.

e.g. on this page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp

Any ideas? This has been going on for a few months now, and I'm beginning to
get a complex... (because I can't see why the ISP choice should matter).

And, yes, I have tried repeatedly with different files.

-------------------
more details:

>>how you are connected (ADSL router, or > PCI or USB ADSL modem) << - in
one case via ADSL router (direct to PC via ethernet). In another, on a
Windows 2000 network, behind ISA connecting via NIC to ADSL router.

---------------------
Yes, I know it is weird - in fact I held off mentioning it until I was sure
I wasn't imagining it. For example, after trying to download the Windows InCopy file
8 times via PlusNet, I went onto a Demon ADSL connection, and no probs.

> What happens with large downloads from other sites are they fine? << - no
problems at other sites - Microsoft is the main site I use (for SPs etc) but
lots of big demo files from other sites too. Only do 'businessy' stuff, so no peer-peer or other software around.

>How far through the download do you get?<< - varies - sometimes after 10%,
sometimes - frustratingly - at e.g. 85%

>> Is the connection in use for somethong else at the time?<< - no, avoided
any other activity

>> Up until the download fails do you get a steady transfer speed? If so how
fast?<< - I believe it is steady, and full (c60) speed

>>Have you tried using a different web browser, e.g Opera? Opera allows you
to resume downloads if the break.<< - no, just IE, latest version, fully
patched. Funnily enough, if the download does conk out, I find that
sometimes when I go to 're-download', it does kind of continue where it left
off anyway. (sometimes)

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

I have just tried to download Acrobat try-out, and got a full 110Kb/s transfer right the way through.

Are you sure you havn't made any system configuration changes that would cause this.
beskar
Grafter

Thanks (by the way, I never get more than c60 speed - you mention 110, are you therefore on a 1mb account?)

No, no system config changes - which changes do you think might affect download?

Also, it ONLY happens with adobe.com, and has been happening for months now. Weird, I know.

I'll try the Acrobat download (I take it you mean full Acrobat, not Reader which is smaller) now and report back.
N/A

I downloaded Acrobat Pro (200MB), and yes, i am on a 1Mb Home account.

Visit http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks and perform a test. Then report back with the URL given at the base of the page.

Option chosen ont he second screen should be
DSL
512/1024/2048 (depending on service)
Your OS
pppoA
Community Veteran

Yes Philip is on a 1Mb ADSL connection.

What is your MTU value on your PC and on your router. These should normally be set the same. You can use something like DrTCP to view your PC's MTU settings (for your network card) and you should be able to check the router config for it's setting.

For my 512K line I use an MTU of 1478 with an RWIN of 17256 (for Windows only). See the MTU tweak for links to DrTCP and some other MTU values to try.
beskar
Grafter

Hi - ok, just tried it and got c58 speed for the first 24% (50mb) and then it just... stopped... (NIC icon lights go out, download dialog box stays on screen, lovely animated bits of paper keep getting exchanged on the screen at least... ;O)

Peter - can delve into the router if necessary (sound of me riffling through the bookshelf trying to find manual...) but could you clarify why those settings mentioned would affect just one (category of?) site for downloading - I don't want to fiddle if I'm not sure why I'm doing it.

Thanks
Community Veteran

If you don't know, MTU stands for Max Transmission Unit and defines the max amount of data that can be transmitted in one packet.

Mis-matched MTUs can have unpredictable effects, especially when downloading large amounts of data so there may be some network differenced to the server hosting the adobe files which does not like your current MTU, but other sites are fine. I have had issues with site access when the MTU in my router was set differently to my PC. When I set them both the same I could access sites fine. It should not have made a difference but for some reason it did.

It's worth experimenting and see if changing the MTU solves your problem.

Remember to reboot your PC each time you change it and match any MTU changes in Windows with the same value in your router/modem.
beskar
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation - I didn't realise MTU settings could have that effect.

I'll have a fiddle this end and report back - may be a couple of days as knowing my luck the entire computer will collapse in the middle of me trying to get my stuff finished for Friday!
Community Veteran

I forgot to say, just make a note of any current settings for MTU and RWIN so you can at least restore things back to this state if things go wrong.

Also when setting the MTU in windows, make sure you select the correct network card/device and not a dialup modem if one is fitted. And don't change the RAS MTU field if using DrTCP as that is for something else.