cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation timeframe on a soon to acitvate exchange

N/A

Hi,

My exchange is set for "activation" on the 23rd July, I have had my order placed since May when the RFS date was announced

I am just curious as to what would an "approximate" date for my service being enabled actually be

Is it the 23rd + 7-10 days or the 30th + 7-10 days

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Richard
15 REPLIES
N/A

It is 7 - 10 days from when BT accept the order.

However, this is no gurentee.

Order have been known to be activated anything from the date of exchange server, up to 20 days (plus) later.

This is while issues and backlogs of other orders are cleared.
N/A

ah well, not a problem

Thanks
N/A

ADSL Activation lead-in time

So when should I order ? (BT website shows my exchange's activatio date as the 8th October 2003)
N/A

You can pre-order now.

+Net will send in the order to BT, once they get confirmation the exchange is active.
N/A

Thanks to You : Pre-registering

That prompt reply is most appreciated, and answers this question.

Having reviewed other posts with regard to what I should sign up for, with regard to which +net package, I feel VERY unconfident in taking on +net hardware. Please can anybody dispell this?

I work from home, have a small P2P network, using a hub, of 3 Pc's on 1 shared internet connection. Seems I ought to have a Business ADSL connection; now do I go for the +net hub/router or someone elses? [Is this possible please]
Community Veteran

Yes you can select a package that does not include the Plusnet supplied kit and I can recommend using either a D-Link or Netgear router.
I have experience of both and find they are very reliable and have given me no problems.
N/A

Positive response...

I really appreciate your response = Thank You.

In Pc Pro magazine thay have, in the past, recomended Net Gear equipment; please may I enquire what has been your experiences of their hardware?

I'm running 3 Pc's (2 WXpHE and 1 W98 LAN) via P2P and will remain with +net but am currently trying to look through the matrix fog. This also applies to many of my clients (and being honest, they usually have the 1 Pc.)

This ADSL I have to learn...
N/A

I havent had a good experience with the the solwise 110 router, numerous faults and appalling GUI, unfortunately plus.net seem to send these out as part of their hardware package after the original 3com were found to have a "manufacturer" problem in that they would not reconnect after losing an adsl connection
Community Veteran

In Pc Pro magazine thay have, in the past, recomended Net Gear equipment; please may I enquire what has been your experiences of their hardware?

The net gear router has a very good write up in the adslguide site as well.
I installed the 4 port router for a friend and it has just worked solid every day for a year. No dropouts at all, just reliable.

On the question of routers I would recommend using one even if there is only one PC involved.
Reasons for this are
1. The router is truly always on with no wait for connection to the net.
2. There is always room for growing the system into a network.
3. The Address translation provides an extra measure of security making the machine invisible to the Internet.
Community Veteran

Yes, I'll second John's opinion that a router is always best, even if you'e only running one computer. I'll also add that having a router is useful if you plan on using other operating systems in the future such as Linux, because they all have drivers for an ethernet card, which is all you need for your router to work with your computer.

Thomas
N/A

Netgear 4 port router

Many thanks for the information; can you remember what model the router was?
Community Veteran

The Netgear DG814 rocks, now that the new 4.8 firmware is out. There were problems with earlier versions, but these all appear to be fixed now.

For the more technical user, the Solwise SAR110 provided with Plusnet is excellent. However, it is certainly not for the faint-of-heart or complete newbie.

The Netgear DG814M is the 'wireless' version of the 814, which is also fantastic, and the DG824M is the 56Mbps Wireless version, which also rocks.

Barry.
N/A

Check out the ADSL guide reviews of various models which are pretty
detailed, set-up wise to help you make a decision.
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/
Community Veteran

DG824M is the 56Mbps Wireless version, which also rocks.

From What I've seen the DG824M is only 11mb, they do have a 56meg access point but not one with built in DSL modem - but I'd love to be wrong on this cos I'm waiting for Netgear to bring one out.

Chris