cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation query

N/A

Activation query

Hi,

I currently have an adsl activation order on one of my office lines. The order was submitted on 21 Feb and is due to complete 28 Feb.

Yesterday(Thurs) the fax machine on this line stopped working. BT inform me that this is because of my ADSL activation.

This is just an ordinary fax machine, why would an ADSL activation make it stop working. I thought that I could use my fax and adsl on the same line provided it was filtered.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Activation query

You are correct.

Submit it as a voice fault on the line, direct to BT, without mentioning ADSL.

Saying it is your ADSL line will only confuse matters, and may see you waiting longer for the fault to be cleared.
N/A

Activation query

If it's not a hassle, I'd also test the fax machine on another line in case BT threw a couple of thousand volts down it while doing your ADSL test and blew it up.

I don't know what they actually do when testing a line, but about three days before my line was officially activated, my phone died for about an hour, came back on for about two hours, then died again for about half an hour before going back to normal - no problems before or after.
N/A

Activation query

Thank you acarr.

It was BT who told me that was the reason. I thought it was rubbish. I will do as you suggest.

gordon5690 - is that possible? does seem a bit coincidental that i ask for my line to be adsl enabled then the fax dies. Is it possible that BT have done somthing to cause this?
N/A

Activation query

It is possible, yes.

I suggest testing the fax on another line, or a phone on the fax line. The phone on fax line would likely be quicker, and more conclusive that the line is at fault, over the fax machine.

Saying it is your ADSL line will only confuse the person taking yoru fault call. Any on-call engineer will get to know about the ADSL, when looking at your account specification, so you needn't worry that lack of information will stall the rapair.

My advice to anybody with aline fault (where no voice is available), is to report it via the faults form on the BT.com website.

Logging faults over the phone can be tricky, as the person you speak to will tend to blame something your side, even though you know it isn't.

Using the website, will open a fault full-stop. Bypassing the call handler.
N/A

Activation query

Hi phillip,

Thanks for your help on this one.

OP is one of ours and we have succesfully logged the fault with BT on his behalf.

It turns out to be a line fault between the pole and the clients premises.

Should be sorted soon.

Thanks again for your help.