cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation Day?

N/A

Activation Day?

Just reading some posts here and it appears you are given a day when your line will be activated by BT, it was suggested in a post that it might be an idea to not use your line so its kept free.

Since I am only 2 days into my signup process, should I not use this line much? I usually stay online around 10 hours per day so should I cut this down while BT test the line and see whether I can get BB?

Also, when/if the line is activated can I still use my dial-up while I wait for delivery of my hardware?

If I make voice calls on this line, do the voice calls show up on my BT bill or does Plusnet bill me, if so where is the tariff for voice calls.

If I move house and don't move to a BB area, can I get out of my annual contract, if so what penalties?

Very last question, some posts suggested Sky maybe interfere with a wireless router. My office (aka spare room) is located next to a bedroom that has a wireless remote extender for Sky, could this be a problem?

Is there a list of common faults to watch for when setting up a wireless network?

Is there a GB bandwidth limit on the Home Worker Pro 512 package, should have checked this earlier but I never :roll:
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

You don't have to do anything different. Using your line will have no effect on the addition of ADSL. BT will just perfom the line test when your not using it - in fact I don't think it matters if you are using it when then do a test anyway.

Just continue to use it as you normally do and on your activation date your line may go dead for a few minutes and then come back, after which you can use ADSL.

Normal phone calls can be made on an ADSL activated line as long as you use an ADSL filter/splitter on your phone. A modem is exactly the same as a phone so can be used via a ADSL filter/splitter. Note: ALL phones, faxes, 56k modems and sky boxes must be connected via an ADSL filter/splitter once ADSL is activated..

ADSL is just an additional service added to your line which is billed directly by the ISP you sign up with. All your normal line rental, phone calls and phone services will appear on your BT phone bill exactly as they are now.

A contract is a contract. If you can't get BB in your new home then you may have to pay a penalty to break the contract you are in with PlusNet. You need to contact them at the time to see what this may be.

Homeworker and homeworker pro are unlimited bandwidth. Only the new broadband home products have a bandwidth limit if you choose one of the capped products.
N/A

Activation Day?

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. So just to clarify, if my line is ASDL enabled on Wednesday for example, I will then have to use a splitter to use my dial up otherwise I won't be able to connect? Assuming I have read that correctly I better order one now then otherwise I could be offline for a few days.
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

It may work without one (because your ADSL modem is not connected yet) but it's better to use one if you can.
N/A

Activation Day?

Nice pile of questions Smiley

Also, when/if the line is activated can I still use my dial-up while I wait for delivery of my hardware?

Yes you can, however, PlusNet aim to have the hardware with you the day before or on the day quoted by BT to them for activation.

If I make voice calls on this line, do the voice calls show up on my BT bill or does Plusnet bill me, if so where is the tariff for voice calls.

This is a broadband only service. PlusNet does not take over any of the call handling properties of the line. In essance, you line is turned into dual use, from which only the BB portion is assigned to PlusNet.

If I move house and don't move to a BB area, can I get out of my annual contract, if so what penalties?

IIRC, there is a £11 (will need to check) administration fee for turning your account into a monthly contract at any time. As such, any non-enabled area, or failed activation at a new address can be converted to a monthly contract, and ended under the 30 cancelation rule.

However, if you have chosen the defered hardware and activation payments (£7.50 a month on top of rental), then all remaining fees will need to be paid for this.

Very last question, some posts suggested Sky maybe interfere with a wireless router. My office (aka spare room) is located next to a bedroom that has a wireless remote extender for Sky, could this be a problem?

This can be a problem, however, for the most part, access point positioning can help.

The issues usualy result in less range of service, and some dead zones within the property.

Is there a GB bandwidth limit on the Home Worker Pro 512 package, should have checked this earlier but I never

No. The Homeworker range has not been changed yet, but is due to be soon.

However, you will remain on the package you have chosen, and not switched to the new ones due, unless you specificly ask.
N/A

Activation Day?

Thanks again for the quick replies, much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back with more dumb questions when I set everything up. :roll:
N/A

Activation Day?

Hi, i just signed up to plus net, however i am still using my bt bb account until my plus net connection is valid, but whilst checking the progress of my connection, they have stated that there has been a problem on my line, could this be becuase i haven't cancelled my account with bt yet?
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

Do you mean you want to change ISPs from BT to PlusNet. If so you should be asking to migrate from your current ISP to PlusNet. You should NOT just cancel your BB account with BT or you will have to pay an activation fee again which could be as much as £70.50. If you have cancelled your BT BB account you should stop this happening straight away.

WHat normally happens is you ask your current ISP for your CBUK number, then when you signup to PlusNet, you say you are migrating and enter your CBUK number.

Full details here: http://www.plus.net/info2/move_broadband/index.html

If you just signed up to plusnet and did not say you were migrating then it would have been treated as a new ADSL order and would have failed because you already have ADSL with another ISP.

If you want to keep the name you signed up with PlusNet with, just raise a contact us ticket, explain you want to migrate and not be supplied with ADSL for the first time and include your CBUK number for PlusNet to use.

Note: you should also tell your current ISP you want to migrate. This will then start any cancellation period (usually 30 days) and you can't actually migrate until that period has ended.

Note2: if you are still on an annual contract with BT and you have not completed your first year, you may have to pay the remaining months charges before you can migrate.
N/A

Activation Day?

thx for the reply, i was going to migrate but becuase i have a 1mb bt connection, and i have signed up for a 2mb with plus neti was reading that with diff connections speeds migrate was not possible therefore i'm still unsure as to what to do, either cancel bt bb tomorrow or wait until i'm activated with plus net then cancel.
But the problem which plus net have found may be due to me still being with bt.
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

You can only migrate to the equivelent type, in your case IPStream home 1000 (1Mb ADSL). If you try to migrate to a different speed connection then the migration will be rejecyed by BT and PlusNet as it has done.

So as I explained above, you should NOT cancel Broadband on BT but request your CBUK number from your current ISP and MIGRATE to plusnet by following the instructions in the link I gave or raising a contact us ticket if you want to keep your PlusNet name. When you migrate you can only chose one of the Broadband Home 1Mb products - either premier or one of the capped bandwidth products.

If you are still not sure what to do after reading the link I gave, ring PlusNet support and get them to explain what you have to do to migrate to PlusNet.
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

Just to add to Peters comments.
Go for a straight migration and once that is done you can then upgrade your account with PlusNet to the 2 meg that you wanted.
N/A

Activation Day?

Can i really do that? migrate to 1mb then just sign up to 2mb, will there be any extra charges becuase activation will be free for the 1mb but will it be the same for 2mb?
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

Going from 1Mb to 2Mb is called a regrade and will involve a on-off charge of £11+VAT (£12.93) in a few days time when PlusNet reduce their regrade prices. So by the time you have migrated, that will be the cost to move to 2Mb ADSL - plus of course the increased monthly charge for 2Mb Wink
Community Veteran

Activation Day?

Yes once the dust has settled and you have your migration completed and your PlusNet account up and running you can then apply for the upgrade to 2meg.
There will be a charge though to do the upgrade.
See the guide price list http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/upgrade_guide.shtml