cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating ADSL in XP

N/A

Activating ADSL in XP

Ok, so I have ADSL working. My XP PC makes the connection to the ADSL line on startup, but not to my PlusNet account. Is there any way of automating this?

I know I could leave the PC "always on" but for various reasons I don't want to do this.

Can anyone help?
4 REPLIES
stonechat
Grafter

RE: Activating ADSL in XP

Well I'm using a router,so that establishes a connection for me. Are you using a router or PCI/USB modem?

Bob
> Ok, so I have ADSL working. My XP PC makes the connection to the ADSL line on startup, but not to my PlusNet account. Is there any way of automating this?
>
> I know I could leave the PC "always on" but for various reasons I don't want to do this.
>
> Can anyone help?

N/A

I'm using a PCI modem. Like I said, the modem establishes a connection on startup but then I need to use Network Connections to connect to PlusNet.

I've tried forcing something, e.g. by putting the DUN shortcut in the startup folder but this fails because it tries to connect to PlusNet before the ADSL link is active.

I guess some kind of script may be possible but I'm a bit naff at that sort of thing...
N/A

The simplist way of doing it would be to setup in IE all ways dial default connection and then put your email in your startup with it set to check mail every 2mins.

The problem with any script is it may trigger to earley before the services have loaded and fail

> I'm using a PCI modem. Like I said, the modem establishes a connection on startup but then I need to use Network Connections to connect to PlusNet.
>
> I've tried forcing something, e.g. by putting the DUN shortcut in the startup folder but this fails because it tries to connect to PlusNet before the ADSL link is active.
>
> I guess some kind of script may be possible but I'm a bit naff at that sort of thing...

N/A

I've tried that but it falls over 'cos the ADSL modem is still negotiating a connection when the email software first tries to 'dial' in.