cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account profile again

N/A

Account profile again

After i was upgraded to ADSL MAX a couple months back PN's staff handily forgot to upgrade my account profile to say i was on higher than 2000kbps so i was basically stuck at a 2mb connection. i just checked again today and get this:

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

Find out more about up to 8Mb broadband by reading our high-speed broadband guide.

how is it that BT's speedtester gives me somewhere in the region of 7500kbps and my router syncs at around the same yet PN are telling me that i'm only able to get 500kbps?? this isn't a joke, haha funny i'm not laughing PN, and i don't see why you should be screwing around with my profile again once you set it to the correct amount last time i asked. when you actually had it set to 8000kbps i was getting speeds of close to what it i was supposed to during the less busy hours, so where the hell did 500kbps come from?
6 REPLIES
johnmglen
Grafter

Account profile again

They simply don't answer or look here mate, you are wasting your time. I know, I am in the same boat.
Mand
Grafter

Re: Account profile again

how is it that BT's speedtester gives me somewhere in the region of 7500kbps and my router syncs at around the same yet PN are telling me that i'm only able to get 500kbps?? this isn't a joke, haha funny i'm not laughing PN, and i don't see why you should be screwing around with my profile again once you set it to the correct amount last time i asked. when you actually had it set to 8000kbps i was getting speeds of close to what it i was supposed to during the less busy hours, so where the hell did 500kbps come from?

Hi there,

For some reason since 05/01/07 your sync speed seems to have dropped considerably, so much so that you are currently on a BT applied profile of 228k.

There may be many reasons for this, and if the sync speed has now increased, the profile speed should increase over the next couple of days.

James' post regarding Max speed issues may shed some more light for you ( http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52181 )
N/A

Account profile again

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 7840 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

this is my current sync speed. the first thing i check whenever my internet connection craps out is my router and i've never seen it lower than my old sync rate when i was on a stable 2mb connection. could it be possible that this is a problem with BT? it seems i'm not the first person to have encountered this problem just recently.
N/A

Account profile again

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7840 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 218 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

so here i am. contacting my isp. what is wrong? i haven't changed anything at all. the only thing thats changed recently is my connection getting gradually slower. it'd be nice to get some answers other than "for some reason, you were syncing at a low speed" that doesn't explain anything. if its not a problem with you then why aren't you talking to BT about it?
N/A

Account profile again

just got a generic cut and paste about microfilters and the master socket and how my "new broadband connection may take up to 10 days to settle" :roll: i so hadn't tried any of those things before, and new broadband connectionHuh clearly the customer service guy didn't even read my ticket. it seems that in the case of them realising that its a fault with either them or BT they'd rather deny any knowledge of the problem and try to place the blame on me, completely disregarding the fact that having checked everything at my end, there is no problems. i'm not going away PN. not until either you find and fix the problem or give me a good reason for it being my hardware aside from your generic cut & paste not and not even reading my ticket.
N/A

Account profile again

BT Test:

System Error Image not loaded

The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number:, did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again. If problem persists please contact your ISP.

Good job BT then. As for PN I see that you're making ample use of the "if we ignore the problem maybe it'll go away" tactic. Pretty sad excuse for a company you got here if you can't even give a simple straight answer. i was holding off posting here for a bit in the hope that i would get a non generic response from your customer service people, but i can see that i may as well start putting the money that i waste on your internet 'service' that you don't even provide me with on buying lottery tickets and hoping that i will win. in the end it'll be the same result, a complete waste of money on nothing.

either way it looks like i'm going to be doing some searching for another internet provider, but you may try and charge me for some phantom fees before you give me my MAC that you supposedly deferred when i joined over 18 months ago, suffice to say i shall be taking a copy of the terms and conditions i signed back in june 2005 to my solicitor to see if he can see any sign of these made up costs. he speaks better legalese than i do Wink