cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing your home PC from another over the internet

N/A

Hi There,

Do any of you +Netter's have any experience of accessing your home PC (which is connected via ADSL to +Net) from another PC over the internet i.e. from work.
The type of access I mean is remote console access, using such tools as PCAnywhere, PCDUO etc.

Any comments on whether this is possible / hard / easy etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

:lol:
7 REPLIES
N/A

I use terminal server (or remote desktop as its called in Xp) I just forward the port in my router to the pc and its gives me full control just as though I was sat at the pc.

What you have to be aware of any such method is the security as if you can get in so can anyone else. So ensure its well patched and have good passwords. I would only do it with a router as with this method you are only opening certain ports. If you use a modem then the pc has a live ip on the net and will be attacked by worms etc
N/A

Thanks a lot for that.

I am going to choose either PCduo or PCanywhere and use a non standard port number. I have a d-link 604+ router / firewall / modem, and as you quite rightly say - I will have to look at the security in a bit more detail.

Cheers
Community Veteran

VNC might be one to consider, AFAIK PCAnywhere has to be paid for but thier are loads of VNC clients and servers about for free and its easy to setup.

Chris
N/A

I've just got TightVNC working, see www.tightvnc.com details.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys.

Had a look at TightVNC - looks pretty good - especially the price.

Cheesy
N/A

If you use TightVNC and a router you'll need to do a bit of port forwarding (of ports 5800 and 5900) and if your server PC is behind a firewall you'll need to poke a couple of holes through it to allow the server program in and out.
N/A

You only need to use port 5800 if you wisht o use a web-browser.

The desktop client is far better, and you can use full screen mode, so it's as if you are physicaly on the machine (though the network connection does make it look like you are running XP Pro on 286 Smiley )