cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing a home network from a remote location, say work.

N/A

What is the best way of accessing a home network from a remote location say the office of from a friends computer if I want to get at files or something ?

I have a wireless network at home and this is driven by an adsl modem and wireless router / gateway.

Please help.

Thanks
11 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Does the router have any VPN capabilities?
N/A

Yes it has something under a VPN heading called pass through's.. is this relevant ?

IPSec
PPTP
L2TP

All passthroughs ?
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Don't know much about it myself, but VPN = Virtual Private Network, which should, after setting up at both ends, do exactly what you want.
N/A

There are a few ways depending what you want to do.

FTP setup a ftp server on your pc which will let you download files.

Remote desktop if you have XP which will let you se the pc as if you were sitting in front of it.

Website run on your pc which you could download certain files.

VPN which would let you connect and use all the files on the pc.

Us a software programe to connect like PC anywere or vnc
Cloudmaster
Grafter

These solutions would be ideal for a single PC, but the OP is asking about accessing a network.

It's a steep learning curve but I think a VPN is the only solution.
N/A

Most/Some/A few/Huh? (I really have no idea Tongue) FTP servers will let you map network shares to virtual directories. Personally I use a combination of remote desktop and FTP, as I was never able to get VPN working, not that I tried for long...
N/A

logmein

there is a greatpiece of software that I use to access my home pc from work and it can be found at logmein.com

I use the free version, it runs on java and you have complete control over the pc from any internet connection. (so the onlypiece of software you need to install will be on the home pc)

Nik
Eserim
Rising Star

I was looking into it the other day, this article seemed good
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

Haven't done it yet, and now I have "upgraded" to the Plus package I will be losing the static IP address so it will be a bit harder.

Chris
N/A

yes logmein is not bad as a free version but you cannot transfer files on it.
ftp is the way to go if files are all you are transfering. remote admin is quite a nifty and fast tool for connecting to remote desktops and it boasts file transfers too.
however, you have to buy it. Tongue
N/A

VPN == BAD! even microsoft think this now as its a gaping security hole. Use a secure FTPd such as guildftpd on windows or GLFTPd on Linux. Then set up all your folders and such and jsut do it that way. far more secure as you can do a lot better file perms and you can see if its being hacked. Plus it uses default open ports on most routers ( 20 / 21) where as some VPN clients will need ports open (unless u tunnel them via port 80 or the like)

Buz
pgudge
Grafter

Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc/)

A couple of mates downloaded and installed this, it allows you and a friend to install it, and then when you run your games, the other peoples LAN game appears in your LAN list, Fantastic, no router/firewall setups or anything, uses AES 256bit.

It also allows you to ping the other machines on the other persons network, so if you have a username and password for the remote network, you should should be able to browse it from explorer

i.e.

\\MY_MATES_MACHINE\Films

you set a password up so only they can access it. It really is that cool.