cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Email

siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

I am experiencing problems with receiving email a situation that has existed for over ten days.
I am repeatedly asked to give username and password yet after doing this I am still unable to obtain recognition.
I can send email but not receive.
I can log on to Metronet web site so the username and password must be correct.
Any helpful suggestions would be welcomed.
Confused OAP
21 REPLIES
N/A

Accessing Email

Hi there. I'm no expert but I had a similar problem and this fixed it for me. In your e-mail program, Outlook Express or whatever you're using, go to Tools, Accounts, select the Mail tab. There should be one or more Accounts listed. Select the default one, probably called Mail Server, and over to the right select Properties. Now select the Servers tab, and look to see if the box that says Log on using Secure Password Authenitication is ticked. If it is, select it so the tick disappears. The other box that says my outgoing server requires authentication should also be unticked. Also check that the server for outgoing mail is set to smtp.metronet.co.uk. Then just select OK and close. Try it then and hopefully it will be OK. If not, I suggest you email the helpdesk to see if they can suggest anything. Hope this helps. Tony
siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

Tony you are a star.
I have managed to access my email and it would appear that my wife can also do this for her mail.
Simple solution but one which over streatched Metronet Technical bods !!
I find their help line singularly unhelpful and being told how important my call is during three separate call to them has done little to improve their reputation. Must be charitable though the broadband £11.75 pm works for me -- usually!!
Many thank mate.
Brian.
PS First time I have used a discussion forum and at 70 years of age I am encouraged by your speedy assistance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Accessing Email

Two newbies on the forum.

Welcome both. This is what the forum is meant for. Cheesy

Please come back and visit soon.

Bill
siblands
Dabbler

Broadband Accessing Email Problem.

Hi Tony,
Your Solution.
It's still working OK so many many thanks.
Brian.
N/A

Accessing Email

Hello Brian,

Pleased I could help, I know how frustrating it can be when you're stuck with a problem like that. I must admit I've found Metronet's help pretty good, though I've only e-mailed them, not phoned.

Tony
N/A

Metronet Access Problems

Hi there. I'm no expert but I had a similar problem and this fixed it for me. In your e-mail program, Outlook Express or whatever you're using, go to Tools, Accounts, select the Mail tab. There should be one or more Accounts listed. Select the default one, probably called Mail Server, and over to the right select Properties. Now select the Servers tab, and look to see if the box that says Log on using Secure Password Authenitication is ticked. If it is, select it so the tick disappears. The other box that says my outgoing server requires authentication should also be unticked. Also check that the server for outgoing mail is set to smtp.metronet.co.uk. Then just select OK and close. Try it then and hopefully it will be OK. If not, I suggest you email the helpdesk to see if they can suggest anything. Hope this helps. Tony

I have experienced problems accessing email via Metronet ever since they were taken over by Plusnet. These problems have occurred on a regular basis, and clear with no intervention from me, indicating that they are caused by Metronet. I have checked the settings mentioned above and they are both unchecked. I get the same problem with both desktop and laptop computers. In fact Metronet did send a belated apology a few weeks ago, which indicated that the problems had been overcome. However this has not happened, and the problems recur on a regular basis. The current problem is similar to one described above, i.e. I can send emails but not receive them. In the morning neither I nor my wife could receive or send emails, although earlier in the day I could do both. I cannot beieve that I have been singled out for this, and should be interested to hear from other people who have experienced the same problems.

Peter Scott
siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

Hi Peter,
The problem I suffered re email i.e. being able to send but not receive has been resolved by the suggestion made above. To Metronets credit after I wrote a strong letter to them I received a telephone call apologising and attemting to explain the reason for the difficulty. Not being a computer 'buff' the reasons fell on uneducated ears.
Sadly this afternoon I could not even access Metronet for receiving or sending emails but after an few hours things are back to normal.
This infuriatingly had happened all too frequently in the past but I press on hopefully.
Best of luck.
Brian.
siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

Hi Tony,
Yes I am back with identical problem i.e. not being able to access email and also being unable to send email
Have double checked all the points you raised last time which helped but sadly not this time.
Can either you or anyone else suggest steps to get me going again as the Metronet help Line and Support Team are either extremely busy or slow and I need to be able to use email every day.
Regards,
Brian.
N/A

Accessing Email

Hi Brian.
It is worth re-inputing ( if that is the right word ) your user name and password into the mail client. It wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft software somehow forgets them or gets them wrong.
Cheers
Jon
siblands
Dabbler

Unable to receive email from Metronet

Hi Jon,
Have tried your suggestioin but sadly no luck.
Metronet are giving poor service I think. They tell me to contact them yet the phone provides a recorded message and it tells me that it cannot connect me to an advisor. As much use a hand brake on a canoe.
They tell me to use admin a/c to contact but what the hell is my admin account? I thought it was the only account I have with Metronet i.e. the one I open when accessing my account details.
Thanks for your attempt to help.
Brian.
N/A

Accessing Email

Hi Brian.
Easiest way from here is to click on "contact us" link which you will see near the bottom of "My Account" in the menu bar on the left of this page.
Cheers
Jon
siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

Hi Jon,
You are now touching on the very problem about contact. I have been doing as you suggest for most of yesterday and am now totally confused as Metronet are asking me to do something that I do not understand.
Hope the copy of the exchanges between Metronet and myself help you see my difficulty. I have clicked on thier link as suggested and this just brings me full circle to My Account from where I have been contacting them!!!
Regards,
Brian.
14:37:34
[Name deleted by Billbow]
CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mr Holland,
You effectivly have 2 accounts with us. One of these account is used to connect to the internet the other is used for billing and administration. You are raising this request on the connection account and it needs to be raised on your admin account.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.metronet.co.uk/index_nlp.html
2006-06-24
16:15:28
You
Assigned : OK Richard we are getting somewhere. How do I now find my admin account as ity is from this account that I am now emailing you that I access the billing details so understandably there is confusion in my mind?. Have looked for admin a/c without success.Please help.
Brian.
2006-06-24
16:22:04
CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mr Holland,
We cannot give this information via this medium. You would need to call us in order for us to veify your billing information. This will be the only way we can verify you as the account holder. Thank you.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.metronet.co.uk/index_nlp.html
2006-06-24
17:37:09
You
Assigned : Andy how nice that would be but the robotic answer phone tells me to be patient as she/it is unable to connect me as all advisors are busy. They have been from early this morning as I have attempted to speak to someone throughout the day. Now what do you suggest please?
I have meanwhile written to your HO to complain about poor service.
However let us keep trying to resolve the problem. please.
Frustrated
N/A

Accessing Email

Hi Brian.
You shouldn't post CS staff names. Can you edit your post to remove them?

When you click on the Contact Us link you should be given the option to raise a query on your connection account or your mail account. If this is not the case I'm not sure what's going on and perhaps Bill or Mark can help clear this up
Cheers
Jon
siblands
Dabbler

Accessing Email

Was unaware of the need to remove names from topics - apologies. New to this game of computers.
Have looked at the points you raise but at the moment quite lost but will keep trying. Determined OAP.
Brian.