Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to PN portal from abroad?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Hi

I was in Poland recently and tried to access the PN Portal. To my surprise, I was given a security warning after logging in, saying that I couldn't access the portal from my current location.

Why?

What risk does this REALLY pose to the PN network?

A determined hacker will get into the PN network from anywhere anyhow - Why must it be us customers yet again suffering?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The attack on the webmail system was from abroad so to minimise that happening again they have locked down their systems to UK registered IPs. Yes, there are ways and means to bypass this kind of restriction but it does make it harder and thus may deter some from attempting to break in.

PN are still going through their security audit analysis results and have involved the BT security team in identifying any areas of concern and 'hardening' them to BTs standards. This process is still on-going s until they have completed all their work, the restrictions are likely to stay in place. What timescales they are working to I have no idea I'm afraid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

But the recent attack was on the webmail system from what I understand?

So assuming the above statement is correct, why is the PN portal restricted?

More to the point, PN as I understand it were HACKED - Not logged into. Do PN really expect a hacker to log in as a registered user and THEN launch some sort of attack? - That would seem extremely stupid.

It doesn't matter now as I'm home again (Hence this topic) and won't be away again for something like 6 months. The thing is I was kind of hoping to leave one of my machines running next time so I can still use it remotely - That means I need to check my B/W usage.. I suppose I could do that directly from the machine here in the UK..

Strange how it's us customers that are yet again punished for the actions of others Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
chrisc
Grafter

This is certainly not meant as a punishment for customers and simply as an increased security step in response to the webmail incident.

We are currently working on incorporating additional security steps for non PlusNet IPs and these should be rolled out in the near future.

The geographic restrictions will be lifted when the new features are rolled out.