cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access shared printer from wireless PC via DG834G?

N/A

Trying to solve problem for my brother-in-law is leaving me dazed and confused!

Setup is Desktop PC (running Win98se) hooked into an ethernet port on the back of a Netgear DG834G and then into PlusNet. A parallel-port printer (HP 840c) is then connected into the back of the PC.

This all works fine.

Now, take a laptop (Toshiba Tecra M2 running WinXP Pro) and plug this into the back
of the DG834G using an ethernet cable - can see the HP printer (which I had previously made shareable back on the desktop PC). Can also use broadband from this laptop too.

So far, so good.

Now, unplug ethernet cable from back of laptop and switch on laptop's wireless interface. It finds the DG834G and joins the wireless network. Can still access broadband (great).

However, can NOT see or access the shared printer !?!?!

Any clues? Please?

I've got a horrible feeling that someone is going to mention something about bridging traffic between the wired- and wireless-network and that the DG834G can not do this Cry

Also, can someone please confirm that, regardless of this bridging (if this is the problem), the wireless laptop will still be able to access a true, ethernet-interfaced, network printer?

Thanks for any hints or pointers ...
4 REPLIES
N/A

On the laptop when, connected wirelessly and main
pc on, go to control panel - printers and faxes.
Click on the tab on left 'Add a printer' this should
then search for and list all printers and faxes on
the network.
Then follow the prompts to 'install' the printer.
Alec.
N/A

Did all that. Works as expected when the laptop is on the ethernet.

Does not find anything when going wireless, and if I try and use the printer it found while wired, I get an error.
N/A

Have you enabled "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the wireless network connection?
N/A

Have you added it when on wireless as it will see it as a new connection and not see the one for the lan.

Can you browse to the other pc ok? can you see the printer when you browse?
check the ip is the same for wireless and lan.