cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abuse - Anyone been contacted by PlusNet?

pgudge
Grafter

Hello people,

Just wondering how big this is getting, I recevied an email from plusnets abuse team , with a forwarded email attached from the abuse team at Universal Pictures.

I have removed the file in question from my machine, but has anyone else been contacted?

gudge
43 REPLIES
rikmoncur
Grafter

what's that then? You had a copywrite protected file you were sharing on P2P, UP got in touch with Plusnet and they asked you to desist?
If so, what P2P were you using? There are ones now that protect your identity.
pgudge
Grafter

Yeah, althought Beleieve it or not, (in this case anyway) the file i was downloading wasn't the real thing, It was a bogus file.

So does this mean I am breaking the law? eg.

I take a picture on my camera, copy to PC, save it as:

Microsfot Publish.ISO

then share it online, does this make my picture Illegal [censored], (not Plus Net, UP) Plus Net are cool.

I have Overnet on at home for downloading Non illegal and Copywirted material, and has served me well, is there anything like Overnet that protects your Identity.

[Moderators note (by Chris): I have editted the above shown in censored tags, use of language, even if it is altered to include alternate characters is not permitted.]
N/A

No it's not illegal because it's YOU'R picture and you chose to share it. The file is copyrighted and the author's want to sell it.
There's isn't any software (P2P) that I know of that can 'hide your identity'
your IP address is publicly broadcast.(please give us some names if anyone is aware of any).
What there is is things like 'Peerguardian' which block access to various ports being used by some of these snoops. This isn't a full proof method.
Some programmes allow you to share files but users can be blocked from viewing your shared folder. ie they can see you but they don't know what you got. Safest way is not to share anything illegal. Wink
rikmoncur
Grafter

This is what I'd seen on the BBC: 'A version of "Kazaa-lite" says it can stop outside parties scanning email addresses and listing songs on individuals' hard drives.'
N/A

That's right Kazaa lite is kazaa but with the spyware removed so they can't spy on you from within and send out info for marketing purposes. But companies
like UP can still find your IP address, look at what's in your shared folder
and sue you if your'e in the States, or tell your Service provider eg. Plusnet what a naughty person you are. The latest version of Kazaa -Lite has peerguardian,this blocks some IP ranges that companies like UP operate from, but what's to stop them from operating from a different range, its a cat and mouse game.
Also you're able to stop people from viewing your shared folder so this may be what they mean.(the downside obviously being people might think your'e not sharing if they can't see what you got)
http://www.k-lite.tk/ (see downloads page for 'peerguardian')
N/A

yes you can download "Peer Guardian" from http://www.methlabs.org download a list of IPs to protect yourself from such as universal

i am curently blocking over 50 mil different IPs

just make sure u regularly update
Tongue

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Excessive smiley dancing removed.]
N/A

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Excessive smiley dancing removed.]

hahaha!
N/A

Didn't know there was a limit on the level of unbridled happiness allowed in these forums! Wink
Community Veteran

Didn't know there was a limit on the level of unbridled happiness allowed in these forums!

Of course there is, happiness isn't unlimited only unmetered. :p

Chris
N/A

I've got 2mb happiness Smiley
N/A

I have a tiny 64K's worth of happiness, though I've written to Santa and I'm hoping he'll bring me a whole 1Mb's worth on August 15th. Cheesy
N/A

Doesn't Santa only deliver December 24th? Smiley
N/A

Damn! Wrong address! Shockedops: Was supposed to be the Fairies at the end of the garden. Still, Santa can't be busy in August, maybe he'll make a special delivery! Wink
Community Veteran

Dancing emoticons and broadband Santas aside, could we just possibly pull this thread back to at least a semi-state of on-topic-ness? Wink

Thomas