cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Above 2Mb upgrade

N/A

Above 2Mb upgrade

Hi, Can somebody help clear up some confusion in my mind about the above 2Mb upgrades. I applied for this and its been accepted but from my general impression I'm now on the 'waiting for BT to upgrade' queue. So, I asked some questions of Plusnet's help teams and am now more confused.
1: I upgraded my router (Netgear DG834G) to a new firmware level(V3.1.25) and it is reporting:
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
Clearly only what it can do not what it is doing because when I run the speed test at Plusnet I get around 1900 xfer.
2: People keep saying you need to disconnect and reconnect three times in first 10 days. Which first 10 days? How do I know when they start? And what if I cant for some reason - say I forget)?
3: To complete the picture when I check router it shows following:
Line Attenuation (Down) 34 db (Up) 9.5 db
Noise Margin (Down) 12 db (Up) 24 db
4: Finally, slightly different topic, I've started getting warnings of throttling (exceeding 3GB at peak time). Which I dont mind and can upgrade but when I look at my stats on line they show 200MB of internet phone calls. Well guess what I dont use it at all. The answer I go back was something to do with miscalculating/errors. But 200MB! thats like 7-8% of my allowance. Anybody got any comments on this, because it seems like the Plusnet people who answered my query couldnt follow my reasoning.
3 REPLIES
hitachi
Grafter

Above 2Mb upgrade

You may well have been upgraded, try the speedtest here and see what the upload is.If the upload is high the download is stuck and will sort itself out in time.
Dont worry about the usage reading that just means the ellacoyas did not recognise the type of traffic and made it's best guess as to the type,you will have used it but not as an internet phonecall.
lingbob
Grafter

Re: Above 2Mb upgrade

Hi, Can somebody help clear up some confusion in my mind about the above 2Mb upgrades. I applied for this and its been accepted but from my general impression I'm now on the 'waiting for BT to upgrade' queue. So, I asked some questions of Plusnet's help teams and am now more confused.
1: I upgraded my router (Netgear DG834G) to a new firmware level(V3.1.25) and it is reporting:
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

In which case, you've most definitely been upgraded.

Clearly only what it can do not what it is doing because when I run the speed test at Plusnet I get around 1900 xfer.

That will more than likely be because PlusNet haven't received your delta report from BTw yet and so can't update your stable rate. Have a look here to view your stable rate. From what you've said, I suspect it will be showing 2000Kbps but once PlusNet receive the delta report from BTw, your stable rate should be up-lifted to whatever BTw consider your maximum stable rate to be.

2: People keep saying you need to disconnect and reconnect three times in first 10 days. Which first 10 days? How do I know when they start? And what if I cant for some reason - say I forget)?

Re-booting your router once a day for three consecutive days can help to push up your stable rate but from my own experience, I found that by leaving it alone, things stabilised on their own. The first ten days is the ten day period from when you were first upgraded but it's a bit of a lottery figuring out when you were actually upgraded. PlusNet are supposed to send you an email when this happens but they don't seem to be doing that.

3: To complete the picture when I check router it shows following:
Line Attenuation (Down) 34 db (Up) 9.5 db
Noise Margin (Down) 12 db (Up) 24 db

That looks OK to me.

The most important thing where MaxDSL is concerned is to have patience and resist the temptation to fiddle around with stuff. I've been on MaxDSL for 25 days and I found that my sync speed was up and down like a yo-yo for the first 14 days but since then, my sync speed has stabilised at 7392Kbps and it hasn't re-sync'd for something like 10 days!

Hope this helps Smiley

--
Martin
N/A

Above 2Mb upgrade

Thank you for your replies. Interesting results. Tried the test fletchdsl suggested and it clocks me at 6203 and 368. Wonderful. And the explantation from bitzbox is really clear. Thanks guys for your help. I guess the plusnet test isnt really!