cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About these connection blips...

N/A

Ok, I've done some reading about these dropped connection problems and it seems to be something to do with BT introducing some hardware, hardware that's causing problems for certain modem/router chipsets, causing the connection to drop.
Am I right so far?

Anyone know if BT or anyone is on the case? trying to solve the probs?

Or, can someone kindly point me towards a PCI modem that has chipset that ISN'T affected by BTs hardware?
Or should Plus be sending me one out soon and billing BT for it? :lol:

*incredible, in the time it took for me to type that^ up the connection dropped 3 {edit: make that FIVE Roll eyes } times. As my main use is online gaming ...it kinda sucks just a little!*

IMHO Plus.net provides a superb service, the tech support is absolutely brilliant, and it's being let down, badly, by the twats at BT...again Roll eyes
17 REPLIES
N/A

Petervaughn, I saw this in the thread that was posted at the same time as mine, heh.
**Your best bet is an external ADSL modem/router like the ebuyer origo ASR8000 for about £25. This connects via an EThernet cable to a network card (you may already have a network connection on te mobo). This takes away any issues with driver conflicts etc and it powreed externally. **

Would this apply to me too?
BTW, I have the Plus.net PCI modem that you guys supplied with the Home Surf package.
N/A

erm is ur modem a conexant access runner? if so i had this problem but it was due to me using a zone alarm firewall - reverted back to blackice and all was fine.
N/A

eeee, I dunno bud.
I have Zone Alarm, had it for years, no probs up to now. I get disconnects with ZA on and off.

Just had 2 *correction-3* while typing this :roll:

I suppose I''ll have to go spend money on something I THOUGHT I'd already bought. A modem that works. Ok, a modem that works with BTs hardware.

I know it's not Plus' fault, but man, it sucks and I'm feckin angry.

Thnx for the reply anyway :thumbs:
N/A

Hi

Just to try and clarify the dropped line probelms.

This is something I have been strugling with for over 12 months. Tried three different routers.

D-link DSL-604+
Netgear DG834
Belkin F5D7630uk4A

All three exibited the same symptoms ie: dropping the line and locking up. This would suggest that there is still a compatibility issue betwwen the BT hardware and routers. Did all the usual stuff of updating firmware and trawling the forums for any possible fixes all to no avail.

I now have a rock solid connection, again and much as I hate to say it this was done by going back to my original Alcatel USB modem and using ICS for the networked PC's. Since I went back about four weeks ago I have not had a single dropped connection. Still using the belkin router for the network and WiFi and had no problems with it now its not being used as the modem.

Maybe the Plus-net tech guys could have a look at the statistics on this problem and try to confirm that it only seems to happen with routers. Not had any experience with a PCI modem so I cant really comment on that.

In short I would think long and hard before going with a combined modem router.
N/A

stewie, can't help but sympathise. I've had a nightmare with this too, 5times so far this eventing the connections dropped; well the router hung 5 times.

Been told this is normally a problem with router but I just can't believe it as it was fien for months then suddenly just as eveyone elese seems to be getting problems so do I.

For the record I've a D-Link DSL-504.
N/A

Thanks for the replies Smiley

**acsclark
All three exibited the same symptoms ie: dropping the line and locking up. This would suggest that there is still a compatibility issue betwwen the BT hardware and routers. Did all the usual stuff of updating firmware and trawling the forums for any possible fixes all to no avail. **

Rgr that, and I've also done all the trawling etc, no success so far.

USB modems? well, that was advised against in of of the threads about this problem so...*shrug* dunno what to think really. I mean, I'm glad it's sorted you out, but I don't have the money to try and fail with, if you see what I mean. I need a fix that'll work first time.heh, don't we all Wink

And, also in one of the threads here, a combined modem and router was offered as 'the way to go' to fix the probs. :?

**acsclarke:
Maybe the Plus-net tech guys could have a look at the statistics on this problem and try to confirm that it only seems to happen with routers. Not had any experience with a PCI modem so I cant really comment on that.**

Absolutely...I'd love for some capable people to analyse the problem and quantify it so mere mortals like me could understand what we need to do to overcome it.

As for only happening with routers...I thought it was the other way 'round :?
I have the PCI ADSL modem as supplied in the HomeSurf..umm..what was it?..Self install? The one where Plus send the hardware and I plonk it in meself.

Wonder if I can find out what make/chipset it is??

The external modem was advised as the way to go, like I said, and you'd be daft not to get a combined router/firewall at the same time. The price is right. Chit, I've confused meself now :doh:

tomsplace..
thnks for the support, and the info as to what router you have. One to avoid I suspect Smiley
Yeah, same here, I had a few disconnects over the months but, all of a sudden, last Friday morning they started in earnest.
Every couple of minutes or so. Got better over the next couple of days, but still unworkable for gaming (my sole reason for BB)
Last night, playing a game online, I had to give in frustration and yes...ANGER. Dropped connection every couple of minutes again, dammit.

thanks for the replies, appreciated. :thumbs:
N/A

Hello,

If you connection is constantly dropping on a regular basis, I would guess something is either wrong with your modem or your phone line or your setup.
As for the issue behind BT hardware, it's unlike to be that, as your symptoms are different but I'm not going to say 100% as I simply don't know.

If your using a USB modem, mostly like your motherboard cannot supply enough juice to constantly power the modem. This largly affects machines with SIS chipsets, but it has been know to affect others.

In addition I'd check for noise on your phone line and whether you connection drops when the phone is picked up.
N/A

Hi does anybody know about SNR and ATEN values. Occured to me to check what they are as I'm getting all these disconnects:

Downstream 	Upstream

Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 19.0 dB 0.0 dB
ATEN 31 dB 16 dB
Line Error
ADSL layer FEC 0 0
CRC 0 0
ATM layer HEC 0 0
Frame Counter 91888 106370

Loop Distance: About 6 K ft

I know they are different to what they used to be, just can't remeber what they were before.
Community Veteran

They look very good and that line can support a 2Mb ADSL connection. Also a SNR of 0.0 dB for Upstream is strange but this may be the modem rather than it being a line problem.

For info on what they mean see the following tutorial: ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.
N/A

Thanks - much appreciated.
Community Veteran

Hi does anybody know about SNR and ATEN values. Occured to me to check what they are as I'm getting all these disconnects:

You can find out more in the tutorial Here
N/A

Hello,

If you connection is constantly dropping on a regular basis, I would guess something is either wrong with your modem or your phone line or your setup.
As for the issue behind BT hardware, it's unlike to be that, as your symptoms are different but I'm not going to say 100% as I simply don't know.
yeah, dropping on a random irregular basis. For instance, last weekend was almost trouble free, almost Wink. Last night, about 0400ish was a nightmare, dropping every minute or so. *shrug* what can I say

If your using a USB modem, mostly like your motherboard cannot supply enough juice to constantly power the modem. This largly affects machines with SIS chipsets, but it has been know to affect others.
PCI modem, as supplied by +NET.

In addition I'd check for noise on your phone line and whether you connection drops when the phone is picked up.
nope, phone calls make no diff whatsoever
Am I right in thinking that someone posted about how an external router/modem would solve this problem? Anyone know about that?

N/A

There is certainly something wrong with an SNR of zero and needs investigating further.
Community Veteran

I think the zero reading is a common thing. I get the same from my D-Link 504.

Its in the up direction so the router is transmitting and is not receiving a signal to compare against the noise level.
It can only make a meaningful measurement of the SNR on the down direction where it has the incoming ADSL signal to compare against the noise.