cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

Hi!

I was just wondering if any of you know anything about the ASR-8100? I'm looking for a router or PCI modem to buy... but after looking through several fora, it seems router/modem's the way to go, rather than PCI. My searches lead me to the Origo ASR-8100, which looks like fun, provided I upgrade the firmware. Anyone else using it?

Also, when should I buy this? I'm having my ISDN line downgraded, and the default checker says I can't get it (My ADSL code was RREB), but I'm guessing this is just because of the HomeHighway installed... people in the same street have it. Should I wait until I have the line activated successfully to buy the hardware, and suffer a few days sans Internet, or just buy it now in readiness?

Oh, lastly... the planned set-up is to have router/modem -> Gateway PC (Old P133 or the such, with two NICs) -> network. Would this cause any problems?

Thanks for any help Smiley
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

have a look on the UK support forum but take the hint from my sig and dont buy it.

1. firmware upgrade for port ranges promises that havent been full filled
2. dodgy DMZ, Nat still blocks ports that it shouldn't
3. false advertising that a SPI firewall was Optional, even at a cost but Origo dont have one
ed:
4. forgot this one but there's no actual Origo Support avaliable, its all customer helping customer. No Origo support/reps ever visit/post on that forum

So have a look at the SAR130 from www.solwise.co.uk which has a working firewall and better Nat capability and costs only slightly more. So it has a better chance of getting a game/utility to work through it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

I disagree I have one and for £40 its good value get it from ebay on buy now, delivered next day

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070589093&category=3706

Its dead easey to set up and a lot of the original problems have gone
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

Well, I wouldn't really need a firewall, but I would like to be able to forward ranges of ports. I'm also considering buying a cheap PCI card and putting it in an old Win98SE machine with ICS. Whilst browsing the fora for the SAR-130, I didn't happen to notice that there appears tobe a problem with P2P networks causing the router to freeze, and quite a few people seem to resort to the serial cable quite often...
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

The SAR 130 has a brand new chipset but is still
running the old SAR110 firmware, new firmware would
probably enable more of its advanced features and resolve
some of the issues people are having.
Note it only has 1 ethernet port.
The Origo does'nt have enough memory for a full SPI firewall
hence the failure to provide one as an update.
However it does look a bit of a bargain, but I'm not sure if
the other issues regarding DMZ and port forwarding have been
resolved, so I would investigate further given the above opinions.
I'm not quite sure what your set up is here, if you got
a four port router you would'nt need ICS you could connect each
pc directly to the router and operate them independently aswell a
part of your network, unless you have a specific reason.
Alec
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

Well, if I got a router, instead of a PCI modem, I'd probably just connect that to the hub until I wanted to introduce connection throttling, or something, when I'd put it through the router.

Is anyone here running either router with a fair amount of uploading/downloading, or some P2P access?

Oh, also, is the SAR-130 completely blockable, configuration-server wise, to the outside world? So they can't even tell you have a router installed?
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

You can 'stealth' the SAR 130 no problem,
but can't advise on the p2p issue.
Alec
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

With my ASR I run Kazza on one pc a E DOnkey and Mirc on another no problems with the router on any of them.

I get a good speed on tham all
N/A

ASR-8100 and When to Buy

Hi, I have a ASR-8400 and I found it extremely straight forward to connect and setup. All my games play fine on it only one proplem with my eyeball chat software which won't connect. Otherwise a brilliant piece of harware....
Chris