cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASDL Modem....

N/A

ASDL Modem....

Hi peeps ,

Im looking to upgrade to ADSL quite soon, am just a bit confused with all this modem talk!

Ive been looking on various Acution sites for one of these modems.....do i NEED a USB modem or is an internal one just as good? Also what is the difference between Ethernet and a ADSL Modem? Im only looking to use one PC on this connection if that makes a difference.

ADSL Speedstream 3060 Internal Modem PCI is the modem that ive seen and i just wondered if this one was going to be all that i need to buy??

any help much appreactied!
cheers , Si
4 REPLIES
beskar
Grafter

RE: ASDL Modem....

Hi (by the way, check back through the forum for my id, I was asking similar questions last month)

If you only have 1xPC, you can get away with just a USB ADSL Modem (and a line splitter, natch).

I use the Fujitsu FDX310 and that worked just fine with my stand alone PC. My preference is for external gear, as a problem does not automatically require a reboot, just a power off/on of the external modem.

If you want to add more PCs at a later date (say for other people in the house) you could either use Windows built in networks sharing, or else buy an ADSL Router with USB connection - e.g. the Vigor 2200USB (www.seg.co.uk)

Alternatively, some ADSL Routers have ASDSL Modems already inside (e.g. the forthcoming Vigor 2600)

HTH

(by the way, I'm a newbie to ADSL/Routing so advise due caution...)
You definitely need some kind of soft/hard firewall though e.g. Norton Internet Security, or the Vigors have that built in - a user in France has already been probing my PC.
N/A

nice one ,

Ok another question.....is there a major amount of difference between the modems? i mean is USB faster than internal or vice versa? I will probably end up going for an internal due to my cheapskateness but are they all pretty much the same? Ive seen an ADSL Speedstream 3060 Internal PCI Modem for £55...any idea if this one is any good? Im not really bothered about getting a good one but dont wanna end up with some botch piece of kit.......

Cheers , Si

N/A

Hello there,

I am currently a cable user and because of where I am moving to does not provide cabel any longer, I have decided to move over to ADSL and PlusNet.

I am also trying to find out what modem I should go for, I currently also only have a standalone PC but I am thinking of future plans and if I am going to get a modem now I may as well go with a router and a modem all in one. This will mean I will be wanting an Ethernet modem/router.

Can anyone recommend anything good from the ones that are currently being used by users in this forum.

Also Simon,
>>is there a major amount of difference between the modems?
--From my experience internal modems and USB modems tend to be "software" modems which means that they normally do not plug into the wall sockets and so get all the power from the PSU and sometimes even the Memory of the computer and if you do not have a powerful enough PC you may have problems. I may be wrong but that is certainly the case with dialup modems. That is one of the reasons I have decided on a ethernet external modem
N/A

Hello there,

I am currently a cable user and because of where I am moving to does not provide cabel any longer, I have decided to move over to ADSL and PlusNet.

I am also trying to find out what modem I should go for, I currently also only have a standalone PC but I am thinking of future plans and if I am going to get a modem now I may as well go with a router and a modem all in one. This will mean I will be wanting an Ethernet modem/router.

Can anyone recommend anything good from the ones that are currently being used by users in this forum.

Also Simon,
>>is there a major amount of difference between the modems?
--From my experience internal modems and USB modems tend to be "software" modems which means that they normally do not plug into the wall sockets and so get all the power from the PSU and sometimes even the Memory of the computer and if you do not have a powerful enough PC you may have problems. I may be wrong but that is certainly the case with dialup modems. That is one of the reasons I have decided on a ethernet external modem.

Regards
Bruce