cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

I have a wireless laptop connected to a Netgear DG824M Router. Plus Net provides the ADSL connection - all work fine.

I need to connect to AOL over this LAN. The AOL software does connect using it's built in TCP/IP connection. However, after a few minutes, the web browser freezes. (My excuse for using AOL is frequent travelling)

I have tried re-installing AOL but with no joy.

Does anyone know if I have to open certain ports on my firewall? No-one at AOL seems to know what I'm talking about.

Has anyone connected to AOL successfuly in this way? Should I give up now?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

This sounds like a issue with your computer, and the interaction with AOL.

My Employer uses AOL for his travels, and on his home computer.

The Home computer is connects Via +Net ADSL, and the laptop both through modem, LAN and Wireless hotspots when available (the LAN is cabled, we only use WLAN with hotspot, at this time).

In all cases, we have been able to use AOL without issue.
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

Thanks for the info.

Just to confirm - when you connect over a LAN/hotspot, you simply select the AOL connect over TCP/IP option?

What version of AOL are you using?

Cheers
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

I am unsure of the number, but it is definatly the latest (updated via the AOL site from a previous version).

As for the setting, there have been a few issues over the past few weeks on the desktop machine, however, this meant it 100% refused access to AOL (different issue to your own).

Changing the advanced LAN serttings to Corporate LAN (usualy means firewalled LAN) and told it, it coulnd't use UDP.

AOL will not provide support on these matters, unless you are on AOL Broadband or using a modem.
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

I do this very thing [using the TCP/IP option] on version 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 [haven't tried 8.0 yet].
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

Are you using the DG824M or another firewalled router? If so, do you need to change any settings? Should I stop going on about firewalls and just re-install AOL?!

Thanks
N/A

AOL via Plus Net ADSL

Using D-LINK DSL504. Firewall doesn't work on my firmware version though. I think it's probably AOL that needs reloading.