cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOL help for a friend

N/A

AOL help for a friend

Does anyone know if its possible to configure and run a simple usb modem or router with AOL without their god awful software interface? Want to simply use the connection and nothing else. Any help much appreciated. Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

AOL help for a friend

Yes no problem but if you use a router it must be set to a mtu of 1400 or it wont work. Not al router support this so check before you buy.

I have done it lots of time with no problem
N/A

AOL help for a friend

Thanks for your reply will check it out. Smiley
N/A

AOL help for a friend

Well yes it is easy to configure aol with a router, and it is higher than 1400 appox 1456 do not quote me on that. however, any half decent router will cope!Beware mind you that configurung aol email is not quite so easy imap unfortunately. I have heard tales of pop3 access but the advantage this way is that you can network. It also means the aol connection is reliable unlike the aol interface nonsense!

Plus net is nicer though.
IanD
Grafter

AOL help for a friend

Not had any problem with the MTU but maybe have been lucky with the router side of things.

Outlook can be set up to work with IMAP quite easily, but watch out for multiple email accounts.

No need for anything other than the basic AOL package despite AOL claiming that it won't work. Much better than the AOL interpretation although I don't know if the AOL keywords still work.