cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOL / AIM

N/A

AOL / AIM

Hi all

i'm struggling with AIM (AOL's instant messenger)

it works fine for a bit on my 2MB connection but then at a time best known to itself other users of the system see me go offline (although i still show as online)

then a bit later it disconnects and reconnects me

my ADSL connection is 100% stable and I never had this problem on dial-up - does anyone know of any AV or inbound firewall requirements ?

thanks in advance
6 REPLIES
N/A

AOL / AIM

When is disconnects, are you trying to do a particular operation in AIM, i.e. Web Cam etc?

The fact it connects suggests that at a basic level your firewall is setup correctly, but it may need fine tuning for anything more than messaging.

I use MSN, and some nights it will stay connected, and others it will disconnected with no obvious reason. I guess I just view it, as par for the course.
N/A

AOL / AIM

not really

even when not being used at all and minimised it has disconnected and reconnected twice in the past hour
N/A

AOL / AIM

How often does it disconnect? and is it like this everytime your using the computer? Are you running any P2P software?
tykeinexile

AOL / AIM

It could, of course, be AOL's software.

Did you know that you can also use it in a browser page at http://aimexpress.aol.com/ ? This used to be unstable but has improved recently.

It doesn't have all the functionality but works quite well. You'll need to set your profile so it doesn't disconnect when the screen power saving option, or screensaver, cuts in if you have them.
N/A

AOL / AIM

The browser based one is fine...

but AIM worked fine until I changed from dial-up to ADSL so surely it has to be the connection or router
N/A

AOL / AIM

It could be your router, but you would need to determine if any rules within the routers firewall are affecting AIM. The best way would be to google for the firewall rules for AIM and compare them to the setup on your router, and Software firewall on your PC.

Most routers allow all outbound traffic as a default, which just means you need to worry about any port forward rules (inbound).

In my experience just to maintain a connection to AIM, MSN etc, doesn't normally need any changing or setting up of rules, normally the default rules of the router are enough. It's only when you add, audio and video that you can get problems.