cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL without BT phone

N/A

ADSL without BT phone

I am happy plus net customer but it annoying that I have to pay for a BT telephone line I don't use to get ADSL. i know this a general ADSL issue but is it possible to get ADSL (or broadband in general) with out having to having to pay for a telephone service?

I have a mobile which I have loads of free minutes so I don't need a land line, plus I would like to try services like Vonage but don't want to have to apy twice.
A
21 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

You could get cable, but I think a lot of those packages force their phone connection upon you instead.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

I used to have just a cable connection with telewest for the internet alone, no need for a phone line. I was on a 4mbit package though!
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

well... your ADSL service is passing through your telephone line, so ofcourse u can't use the internet without a phone line service Smiley
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

well... your ADSL service is passing through your telephone line, so ofcourse u can't use the internet without a phone line service Smiley

I've got adsl, but no phone line, well, bt have activated my line for adsl and at the same time they managed to cut it off too! Clever gits! So am paying for plus net although i cant use it!
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

I understand its a telephone line but I want broadband without having to pay extra for services I don't want. The fact it is re-using the old telephone lines is not my problem.

It seems to be the same with cable, I want internet but not telephone services. How will services like vonage or plus talk (once you can dial out to land lines etc) take off if you already have to have a phone service to get broadband in the first place?
craigbrass
Grafter

ADSL without BT phone

Well I have this same problem. Whole family uses mobiles for phoning out and calls coming in and our landline is only used for ADSL and callcenters phoning us to ask us to move to a diff providor for a few services.

I phoned BT and aparently this summer, a DSL Only line will be implemented where by you don't actually get a phone number and can only use the line for ADSL. This will cost £5 per quarter (so £20 a year). She did stress that this is under heavy negotiation and may not happen tho but I hope it does. Will save the £22 odd qwid we pay for a line at the moment.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

that sounds like a very good move, i've only put a phone in my house for adsl, everyone else calls me on my mobile or sends txt messages. I think the problem is though, as mobiles are getting cheaper, its harder for bt to to sell their services, the only people who only really benefit from landlines are businesses, and what happens once new wireless broadband technology is implimented i.e WiMax?Huh
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

It's highly unlikely to be £5

One of the reasons this type of service is not available now, is because of the costs involved with maintaining a phone line.

If you provide voice over it or not, the exact same costs to maintain it exist.

In adition to this, you should look at the wholesale LLU prices. It currently costs just under £35 a quater.

For BT to provide such a service, LLU access charges would need to be brought into line with such a product.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

I hope the dsl only line does take place. As then my brother can get his own line in his room. And have his own 2mb line.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

As said above, a telephone line is a telephone line, it transmits data and voice. When you pay line rental supposidly you are paying for BT to maintain the line not to have the phone service.

The idea above seems a gd idea about £5 quarter for ADSL only lines, i don't see that happening to be honest, BT need the money and on the lines side of things they got everyone by the balls so they have no competition, apart from Cable Areas and the odd few LLU areas.

I think we gotta get used to the idea that a telephone line should not just be associated with voice calls, but a versatile data connection as well.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

How about satalite. do you need a BT line for satalite service providor.

I am no expert, I just know there is a company in this area ofering such a service.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

Satellite is only able to provide a downstream for your internet so you still need a phone line to act as your upstream to the isp's server. Satellite is only really any good for downloading large files, when it comes to browsing the internet, and playing online games, the ping times are too high.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

Some satellites connections work with a telephone line for the upload. But some are working both ways. And the delay is not too bad. I often talk to friends that are in the middle of nowhere (in France) connected to the Internet by satellite (both ways), using Skype, and the communication is good. In fact you don't make any diffeence with a normal Skype call.
N/A

ADSL without BT phone

Some satellites connections work with a telephone line for the upload. But some are working both ways. And the delay is not too bad. I often talk to friends that are in the middle of nowhere (in France) connected to the Internet by satellite (both ways), using Skype, and the communication is good. In fact you don't make any diffeence with a normal Skype call.

Didn't think there were too many of these availible, i know i heard something about bt trialing it where it uses both upload and download. The only bad side is you have to have a massive dish in your back garden or on your house.