Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL via Extension Cable

Griffo
Grafter

ADSL via Extension Cable

Hi all,

Got a problem with my ADSL at home.

ADSL syncs fine when I connect it into the master socket. But when I try using the net via and extension cable into my room, it won't sync at all. It tries to train and then dies!

It's a DIY extension kit. You connect the first piece into the master socket, then into the back of this connector you add the phone connector. Then the wire from the socket runs up the wall, across the loft, then down into my room. Where I have wired it into a standard phone socket. The cable appears to be a flat cable, with the four standard phone wires.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ADSL via Extension Cable

Does a phone work Ok in the extension socket?
Have you wired the filter / splitters up correctly so that you are not passing the ADSL part of the circuit through 2 filters?
See the tutorial on wiring and filters in the Tutorials and FAQ forum.
Community Veteran

ADSL via Extension Cable

Could be a wiring fault or a faulty cable. Check you have the correct wires in the correct places by comparing it with UK telephone wiring. It may be worth reding the wires in the socket in case one is loose.

Did you use the correct tool to fit the wires (plastic crimp tool) in the socket or did you use a small screwdriver to force the wires in. If a scredriver it may have bent the contacts and may not be making a good contact. You should always use a crimp tool.

Also make sure you not connecting your ADSL modem on the filtered (phone) side of the ADSL filter/splitter. See ADSL: Wiring and Filters tutorial.
Griffo
Grafter

ADSL via Extension Cable

Phone works fine yep. I plug the modem in and it tried training....but then nothing. But when I plug it into the filter at the matser it syncs after about 5seconds.

I have tried setting up the filters in all sorts of combinations, but none holding any answers.
N/A

ADSL via Extension Cable

Just to re-iterate what Johnessex said - you have to make sure that the extension LEAD doesn't pass through 2 filters - if you have a filter in the Master socket for any reason the extension lead should not be plugged into that filter.
N/A

ADSL via Extension Cable

It depends on the setup as to where the filters are placed, for example I have an extension lead plugged into a normal line splitter on the master socket.

I have a filter on the remaining free socket of the spliter, and then a filter upstairs on the extension socket.

Aaron