cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL unusable in the evenings. What to do next...

N/A

I've got a 1MB premier connection which is absolutely fine during the day (I work from home and use it all day long and get close to my max available speed) but come 6-7-8 in the evening it grinds to a complete halt and I can't access anything online for the rest of the evening. Its been like this since I had it installed a month or so ago.

I've attempted to run BT speed tests in the evenings and sometimes can't even download the initial speed test page. I've never actually had one complete even after leaving it for 4-5 hours to run, which means I don't have any proper ammo to throw at BT saying my connection speed was X kbp/s

I've raised tickets with PlusNet, who checked the line a couple of times last night and reported no problems with the line.

Now, my feeling is that there is nothing wrong with the line, its simply an over contended exchange (i believe it is Roath, Cardiff) which is causing my problems. Presumably line tests won't show this kind of problem?

Any suggestions about my next course of action? PlusNet have said they'll raise a BT fault for me but since PN's line tests show no problems, BTs is likely to do the same and then they'll charge me 50 squid for the privilege.

Any help much appreciated...

James
4 REPLIES
N/A

I had the same problems up til a few weeks ago, really bad slow downs in the evenings. I was getting well below 400kbps which is BTs minimum acceptable speed for a 2mbit connection.

Have you tried a different modem / router / filters ? also try connecting straight into the master socket with no other devices connected. The charge will only apply if they find the fault is your hardware. It certainly sounds like contention to me. If you can get the BT test to work and get below 400kbps then BTw have to do something. They also did remote tests on my line and could see no fault, usually because the test was done during the day when the connection was ok. Keep trying the BT tester and hopefully it will eventually produce something. Keep a log of all speedtests you do so you can send them to PN, I have an automated testing program you can use (thanks to kitz) that uses ADSLGuides own speedtester which you could leave running, again its more evidence for you to pass onto PN.
N/A

Thanks for the reply

Its connected to the master socket, no other devices are connected and I've played with microfilters. I've also tried it with my BT modem as well as my usual Linksys router and to no avail.

I guess I should just persevere to try and get a speed test to run. Unfortunately it tends to be absolutely fine and then drop pretty suddenly. I guess I'll just have to catch the speed test just as the performance starts to drop to actually get a speed test to complete...

James
N/A

ok good luck with the BT tester, keep trying and remember any result you do get is recorded at their end. What sort of result do you get on AG speedtest at peak times?
N/A

Thats half the problem. The performance is so bad at peak times I can't even finish loading the BBC website let alone getting the ADSL guide speed test to run!

James