cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL - the lights are on, but nobody's home...

N/A

ADSL - the lights are on, but nobody's home...

Hi all. I've just recently gotten a plusnet adsl connection, and it was working fine for a couple of days until recently. About a week ago, my netgear dg814 router would not connect at all, even though it kept trying, and in the past two or three days, it has managed to successfully connect a couple of seconds after switching it on, with the light for the net connection fully green. But, even though it says I am connected, I can't open any webpages, including the plusnet portal, and quite simply it's as if the connection is non-existent.
I haven't changed ANYTHING on my computer since it was working, so I assume it's a problem either with my line or on plusnet's side. I've had to resort to access from a different computer and phone line to even post this message, (and come back to - hopefully - receive a reply)
What do I do?
Thanks for any help or advice in advance,
JakobG.
12 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL - the lights are on, but nobody's home...

I've also got a connection but nothing happening - I thought these days were over with the new pipe. PlusNet, is it you or is it BTHuhHuh?

--
GT
N/A

> PlusNet, is it you or is it BTHuhHuh?

The first thing to do is try to log-in with the userID "bt_test@startup_domain" (no password required), using the DNS addresses 194.72.7.57 & 194.73.82.242, and open the test page <www.bt.net/digitaldemo>. If this fails then the problem is definitely with BT. If it is successful then the problem is likely due to something within Plusnet's control.

Whatever the result, open a "Contact Us" ticket so that the fault is actioned asap and both you and Support have a record of all steps taken.

HTH,

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]
N/A

yep, same here. can connect but no one in.
on my dial up at the mo. very frustrating for my kids who look forward to their lil bit of fun.
they are beginning to compare it to the slower service we had before and thought that was better.
aaaarrrrggggg!!
N/A

Does your router have a serial connection? If so try connecting to it via Hyperterminal or Telnet and make sure it's OK. Check the instructions for exact info.

I got a new D-Link DSL504 the other day and couldn't get connected. Logged in via Hyperterminal and it showed me that there was a faulty ROM in the router.

This means I'm still on dial-up Sad while waiting for my replacement router (tomorrow I hope!).

> yep, same here. can connect but no one in.
> on my dial up at the mo. very frustrating for my kids who look forward to their lil bit of fun.
> they are beginning to compare it to the slower service we had before and thought that was better.
> aaaarrrrggggg!!

--
Come on Boro!
www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

All I know is that the router uses its own bit of diagnostic type software, which says its a-ok. Of course, the fact that it has worked a mere week ago suggests that its ok. I have had one or two problems with connecting (ie, it took ages sometimes, and others it wouldnt connect at all), but now the router 'connected' light is on, but the net quite simply is not going.

Also, I've gotten my 'ticket' and received the following message by customer support a couple of hours afterwards:
Comment By: Customer Support Centre - Please could you have a look at this. Thanks - Assigned

What does THAT mean? I can't actually look at anything, there are no links in the message... Or is it not for me? It's not exactly a very descriptive response........ Sad
N/A

my prob is just like yours jakob.
nothing wrong with our router. tried pinging from outside and it disappeared some where by plusnet. tried pinging another couple of numbers similar to my ip and got the same failures. could be bt's cards are kaput. arrrggg
N/A

And the same here - nothing has been done with my ticket since a comment was placed on it on friday night.
N/A

Just out of curiosity, where are we all based?
Am in Leicester myself... Is it possibly a local thing? (I doubt it, but I may as well ask).

N/A

london...so that dont figure eh.
N/A

Have a look at the following from http://www.adslguide.org.uk

Makes for some pretty gloomy news, the question is "who will put up their hand and admit it's their fault!" BT, Alcatel, or the router manufacturers.....bet a penny to a pound no-one does! leaving the poor end user out of pocket yet again!

ANY REPLY FROM PLUSNET SUPPORT WELCOMED

Alcatel upgrades causing problems? Or are they downgrades? Author: MrSaffron
Alcatel are currently carrying out some upgrades at BT ADSL exchanges as we detailed on 6th September. Unfortunately reports are starting to mount from users of different ADSL modems that the hardware they own can longer maintain a connection to the exchange. In addition Zen Internet are reporting that they are seeing users with packet loss and authentication problems after the upgrades.

At this time the hardware that users are reporting problems with is the Netgear DG814 and Solwise SAR-715. Prior to the upgrades the users had had reliable connections, but now they cant connect or connect for very short times. ADSL line faults have been ruled out as some of them retain old Alcatel USB ADSL modems which still work. If you think you may be affected do report the problem to your ISP and contribute to the thread in our forums here.

Hopefully Alcatel will be able to look at the problem and come up with a solution, precisely what has changed is unclear at this time. If Alcatel or any ISP has any useful information on the matter feel free to contact us.

Problems like this with upgrades raises the question of how much testing BT Wholesale does with respect to DSLAM providers changing firmware. The SAR-715 was previously tested and proved to work well on the Alcatel A1000 and AR1000 DSLAMs.
N/A

Great... And so what, I wonder, had alcatel thought of doing about half the country's broadband users suddenly not being able to surf the web?? By the sounds of things, everyone's affected (apart from those with a frog, obviously)...

Bleedin typical, wait for ages to get the thing, then when you get it, it don't work :/
N/A

> Great... And so what, I wonder, had alcatel thought of doing about half the country's broadband users suddenly not being able to surf the web?? By the sounds of things, everyone's affected (apart from those with a frog, obviously)...
>
> Bleedin typical, wait for ages to get the thing, then when you get it, it don't work :/

No I can confirm that even the Frog doesn't work. 2 BT engineers tried that on my line.

I have been off for almost 14 days now, after being connected for 3 months with no probs. Just get a flashing green light on my Eicon Diva instead of a solid one.

You can read the whole horror story at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/ubb2/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000212;p=1

To say I am getting fed up with both BT and Plus Net is an understatement.

Regards
Emeric