cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL slow speed/poor streaming video issues

N/A

Hi, I wonder if anybody could assist me on this. I'm not too up on the technical issues related to broadband, so bear with me while I display appalling knowledge of the subject. I am on Plusnet ADSL 512 standard set up, using a Speedtouch USB "stingray" with the 1.4 drivers.

The main indicator that all is not well is streaming video, such as the BBCi site via this very website. I am unable to watch any single clip without it stopping, refreshing itself or the audio carrying on with blocky occasional stills of the video appearing. It doesn't matter what time of day or night I try, nor what size or type of video I have selected. It happens *every time*. I also have the option to receive streaming video from a football website I am subscribed to, either at 56k or 300k. It says 300k is for broadband users only. The same happens there too, indeed, it conducted a test on my connection and recommended I stick to the 56k stream. This can't be right can it?

I have tested my speed both on the speedtester on this website and adslguide.org. The Plusnet speedtester shows my speed as around 480kb/s, the adslguide one showing various results from as little as 420kb/s up to 475kb/s. Again, I have conducted these tests at all times, even early hours of the morning.

I can't believe everyone with ADSL suffers these problems, so what would you venture to suggest is at fault? I will confess to downloading and installing some "MTU TWEAK" utility provided by Plusnet some time ago, then subsequently read it wasn't necessary anymore, so set it back to default. Maybe something has gone wrong here, I am prone to dabbling with these little fixes and sometimes wonder if I pressed the right buttons in hindsight!

Any or all help most gratefully received and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Keith.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It can depend on the utility you use to view the stream. If Real Player then the older versions can and do have problems which have been cured mostly in the later versions.

Also if watching a stream and you have any online applications that are actively downloading/transfering eg MSN Outlook ICQ, then they eat in to your bandwidth so reduce the speed at which you receive.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

In addition, nothing has been mentioned about the computer itself. A video stream is usually highly compressed, so the computer at your end has to handle the decompression in realtime. If lots of applications are running, or your machine is of an older spec, then these may be factors.

B.
N/A

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. I had a closer look on adslguide.org and noticed that "software compression" in the DUN had to be unchecked. It was checked on my setup, so unchecked it, rebooted and hey presto, everything ran fine, including BBCi and so on.

I'll take on board your recommendations as well, so as to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks all. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Glad you got it sorted!

B.