cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL router wirless to wired

N/A

Hi,

I have a wireless router feeding a PC that also has a wired network card which supplies a further PC.

Problem I get is the the further PC can't see the ADSL connection from the wireless router.

I had them on the same subnet mask, and tried bridging but the wired network can never see the router.

Is there a check list of things I need to do?

ADSL ROUTER ----- WIRELESS PCI / PC / WIREDLAN --------- WIRED(PC)
3 REPLIES
N/A

I'ts not clear what you mean by 'Wireless router' perhaps if you gave us a
make/model no. we can help further.
As I understand it a wireless router is a device with both a wireless transmission to all your laptops & pc's equiped with wireless pc cards,
plus an ethernet 'wired 'connection ie at least on point whereby you can supply
a wired pc direct. If your router has only one wired point then you can use this
as an uplink to a hub with more points to supply more than one pc.
You wouldn't supply one pc through an other pc you need to connect direct to
the router in order to see it.
Also where is the modem in all this, is it one built into the router or a seperate
modem connected to the router or something else.
ADSLRouter-------Wireless PC's
'------------------------Wired PC's
N/A

Apologies for being vague.

Its a D-LINK 614, wireless broadband router with ADSL modem built-in.

The D-LINK is connected wireless to a PC which can see the ADSL no probs .. so far so good. This PC (Call this PC1) also has a standard wired network card in it which further feeds another wired PC (Call this PC2) . PC2 can't see the internet connect that PC1 recieves from the router. Even though they are on the same workgroup, subnet mask etc.

I thought the idea was you could bridge together wireless/wired so all the PC's could see each other and thus the net connection.

Does that make any more sense?

Cheers.
N/A

I thought the idea was you could bridge together wireless/wired so all the PC's could see each other and thus the net connection.

Yes, but usually it's the Wireless Access Point / Router which is doing the bridging/routing. In your case "PC1" also needs to bridge/route between its two network interfaces.

Your PCs connected to PC1 need to stipulate the address of PC1's wired interface as their default gateway address; PC1 needs to be set to do bridging / routing by whatever means exist on the operating system in use; the wireless interface of PC1 needs to have a default gateway pointing to the wireless router. Similarly, for traffic coming back from the wireless router, destined for the PCs connected to PC1, a route may need to be added to its routing table, telling it to send to PC1 to reach them.