cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL problems

N/A

ADSL problems

I'm having a strange problem with my ADSL connection. It works fine during the day but sometimes late at night (around 10:30 pm onwards) or early in the morning (around 5:00 am) I have connection problems.

I can connect for a few seconds, sometimes a few minuets but then the connection will drop. Windows says it's still connected but my modem status utility shows it as "detecting" or "connecting". Any internet activity times out.

I've found that if I unplug all the other phones in the house it'll work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

ISP = plus.net, modem = internal PCI, all phone points in use are micro-filtered.

Thanks,
J Smiley
8 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL problems

Just guessing...

Do you have anything in the house running on a timer that might be causing interference? (Overnight storage heaters or something?) Do you or yours switch on anything electrical overnight? Especially something near to one of the other phones?

Mike.
N/A

connection problems

I've checked the self help pages, read others on the forum but I'm not a technical wizz and cannot understand why I connect to internet pages immediately sometimes but others I can sit for 2hours waiting for a connect. Today I've been trying since 2pm and have just managed to connect at half past midnight. There is probably a very good reason but I just don't understand it. Is it a contention problem? I use a DG834g wireless router, laptop with 511 wireless card in slot, windows XP and plusnet ISP. My settings all appear correct, though I get "page not found/ dns error " my dns is set to automatic as is the IP address. I spent some time on phone with netgear helpline who talked me through ping tests and everything worked. Next morning I switched on and it wouldn't connect. Very puzzling to me, but maybe someone has an answer. Ive had BT check the phoneline, I have splitters on phones and router line. My next idea is to watch the synch lights on router as another forum writer is doing. Will a static IP get a better connection? Thanks for reading this long epistle.
N/A

ADSL problems

Just guessing...

Do you have anything in the house running on a timer that might be causing interference? (Overnight storage heaters or something?) Do you or yours switch on anything electrical overnight? Especially something near to one of the other phones?

Mike.

Thanks for the help. I can't think of anything that may cause interferance the only electrical things near to the other phone points are lights.

I've discovered it seems to mainly happen at weekends. I'm even having the problem now since around 15:30 on a Saturday.

Thanks,
J Smiley
N/A

ADSL problems

We seem to have 2 problems lumped into one. The modem problem for jbward if you unplug the phones and it works then that tells you what the problem is. Try remoning one phone and see if it works. If it doesnt plug it back in and try another.

You may well find its one phone that's the problem old phones are favorite. I assume you arnt exeeding your ren? I have had this problem with a few customers and its allways been just one phone tha has caused the problem.

The router problem is a another issue. You need to work out if the problem is with the router connecting to the ISP or your pc connecting to the router. The router should have log files to show whats happening if you cant get onto the net make sure you can logon to the router and keep the connection to the router ok. Check the log on the router ands se eif it gives any idea of what the problem is. The dns problem should be solvable by setting your dns in windows set one to the routers address and one to Plus nets.
N/A

ADSL problems

We seem to have 2 problems lumped into one. The modem problem for jbward if you unplug the phones and it works then that tells you what the problem is. Try remoning one phone and see if it works. If it doesnt plug it back in and try another.

You may well find its one phone that's the problem old phones are favorite. I assume you arnt exeeding your ren? I have had this problem with a few customers and its allways been just one phone tha has caused the problem.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'll do some process of elimination the next time it happens. It seems very strange that it works during the day but not in the evening. It seems to mainly happen at weekends I've noticed too.

Sorry, what do you mean by REN?

Many thanks Smiley
Community Veteran

ADSL problems

REN is short for "Ringing Equivelant Number" and means the number of phones or other equipement connected.
Some things have a REN greater or less than one, hence the need to use the REN numbering system.
Can't remenber off hand what the limit is these days but I think its around 5 as a max to make sure that all equipment responds to an incoming ring.
N/A

ADSL problems

Thanks. I should be within that, I've got 4 including the ADSL modem. All seems ok with the connection issue at the moment, I'll do some further investigating if it happens again.
Thanks,
J Smiley
N/A

ADSL problems

Thanks, you were right it was an old phone that was causing the problem unplugging it seems to sort it out. Thanks very much Smiley