cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL, phone points and Sky boxes

N/A

ADSL, phone points and Sky boxes

Anyone know why Sky satellite TV contracts specify that their box must remain connected to an active BT phone line at all times, otherwise they'll charge you for an otherwise free box?

And does that connection - and presumably the test that Sky will run intermittently to confirm their box is alive - mess up an ADSL connection?

Just debating whether to get Sky and feedback will be real helpful.

Thanks
JR
http://www.jeremyrussell.plus.com
--
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL, phone points and Sky boxes

I have two sky boxes and to qualify for the reduced second subscription I need to have both connected to the phone line at all times.
I had a letter from sky telling me that my second box was not connected - It was and it turned out to be a cock-up at their end.

If you have one box you need to keep it attached for a year.

So far it does not seem to have caused any problems with my ADSL
penguinni
Grafter

> I have two sky boxes and to qualify for the reduced second subscription I need to have both connected to the phone line at all times.
> I had a letter from sky telling me that my second box was not connected - It was and it turned out to be a cock-up at their end.
>
> If you have one box you need to keep it attached for a year.
>
> So far it does not seem to have caused any problems with my ADSL

It was only last week when I tried to install ny ADSL moden I discovered that the phone socket I had my Digibox connected to was duff(the wire had been disconnected by the chap who insytalled my ISDN)
HOWEVER- the Digibox apperaed to have worked anyway for over a year as I could only order movies if the digibox was connected and if not connected I got an onscreen message telling me to connect. Even though the line was dead!

Strange.

I currently have the digibox connected to the (now live) socket via a normal line splitter and run the ADSL modem from an extension lead fitted with the modem spitter and have no problems.

Stephen
N/A

Well, that was pretty straightforward. Thanks. Now, is there anything worth watching on the basic £16-ish package or should I just carry on watching PlusNet go up and down - and btw, I'm one of the happy non-regular posters - last weekend was a tad aggravating but I'm reasonably sure that was a non-repeating event.
--
penguinni
Grafter

> Well, that was pretty straightforward. Thanks. Now, is there anything worth watching on the basic £16-ish package or should I just carry on watching PlusNet go up and down - and btw, I'm one of the happy non-regular posters - last weekend was a tad aggravating but I'm reasonably sure that was a non-repeating event.
>
> --
> I had the family package which included movies but not sport. I downgraded to the basic package which includes lots of stuff and order movies as and when.
There are still lots of times when there are 200 channels and nothin' to watch though!

N/A

Uh-oh. I think I'd better think it out again Cry
rslsys
Grafter

> Anyone know why Sky satellite TV contracts specify that their box must remain connected to an active BT phone line at all times, otherwise they'll charge you for an otherwise free box?

They came a cropper in my case, we have 2 phone lines and a BT 2 line exchange on which you have to dial 0 to get an outside line. The Pace box could not cope with a dial prefix and Sky could not cope with a DDI extension number following a phone number.

My Sky box is connected to a live line but it can not dial out and the can not dial in!
N/A

> Anyone know why Sky satellite TV contracts specify that their box must remain connected to an active BT phone line at all times, otherwise they'll charge you for an otherwise free box?
>
> And does that connection - and presumably the test that Sky will run intermittently to confirm their box is alive - mess up an ADSL connection?
>
> Just debating whether to get Sky and feedback will be real helpful.
>
> Thanks
> JR
> http://www.jeremyrussell.plus.com
>
> --
>

The reason why Sky contracts specify that your FOC box must be connected is that their marketing company (With whom you actually sign the contract for the free box, in exchange for it to be conected to your phone line) downloads from your box your 'viewing habbits' for marketing purposes. As for if you will ever get caught out, I don't know as I have not tried, being a good boy and all that ;o)

I should think that it would be happiest the right side of a splitter but otherwise it would be no different than running a modem on the same line as DSL.

I shouldn't think that cable is any different except they can do it from source, without needing a 'dial up connection'.

Hope that helps

Drew
N/A

Hi

Ive had the Sky Digibox since 97 or 98,
it was the same rule back then.

If you look at the box you will see now and then Sky make contact with it through the line, the green 'online' led will light.

If you order Box office events, they work right away no need to phone up Sky to get a signal sent to the card. so in order to see what you have been watching (channels) or what you have ordered they connect to the box through the line to gather info.

Once my year was over i pulled the phone plug out, but was soon contacted by Sky telling me they needed to make contact with the box and to plug it back in. no sooner had i done this and they were making the led light up.. i suppose to gather info that the box or card holds.

So im now on my 14th year as a customer and 4th year as a Digital customer, and they still check the box through the line.
But you DO need this anyway to allow them incase you order movies and things.

I have my Sky box wired up through a filter before it reaches the line. so get no problems.
But like any device with a modem, the Sky box won't be able to make a connection to your line while you use ADSL anyway.

As no two devices, running a modem can share the same line. i had an Amstrad emailer phone, which runs up big phone bills while you're sleeping, doing updates and searching for email at 12 pence a session every day, and now since unplugged.. well that was the same, it could never connect while i was on ADSL.. it tried.. but it couldn't make connection.

It's like trying to run your spare computer on your ordinary dialup while running ADSL.. sounds good.. but both wont run at same time.

Pity..!

Thats all i know about Sky.. you will need to phone and ask them for anything else.
But as long as you have a filter on i don't see it causing you problems.
as i said you would only get the modem noise.. it wouldnt be able to connect while you have ADSL on.
but that modem noise will knoock you off, maybe, so best to put a filter on all telephone devices connected, or wire them up through the same filter if they share the same extension line.

--
Jason
=====
jlpappin
Grafter

My DigiBox hasn't been connected to the phone line since I nicked the modem cable from it over a year ago. It's only purpose is to play stupid interactive games and order movies. I just call em up for ppv movies I want to watch and no one says anything to me. Don't know if this is significant but like I subscribe to the £30 a month package with all the channels.
N/A

Thanks all for the info - now, if I only had a job I could afford the Sky payments. But I laid the groundwork anyways.

Cheers
penguinni
Grafter

> My DigiBox hasn't been connected to the phone line since I nicked the modem cable from it over a year ago. It's only purpose is to play stupid interactive games and order movies. I just call em up for ppv movies I want to watch and no one says anything to me. Don't know if this is significant but like I subscribe to the £30 a month package with all the channels.

Anyone any suggestions why my Digibox had to be plugged into a phone socket to order movies even though the socket was totally dead?Huh
jlpappin
Grafter

Yeah. Unplug the modem cable from the back of the digibox. I don't know why or how it works but leaving the modem cable plugged into the digibox but not the phone line does something. So removing it from the picture completely sorts it out I think.

> > My DigiBox hasn't been connected to the phone line since I nicked the modem cable from it over a year ago. It's only purpose is to play stupid interactive games and order movies. I just call em up for ppv movies I want to watch and no one says anything to me. Don't know if this is significant but like I subscribe to the £30 a month package with all the channels.
>
>
> Anyone any suggestions why my Digibox had to be plugged into a phone socket to order movies even though the socket was totally dead??

N/A

> Yeah. Unplug the modem cable from the back of the digibox. I don't know why or how it works but leaving the modem cable plugged into the digibox but not the phone line does something. So removing it from the picture completely sorts it out I think.
>
>
> > > My DigiBox hasn't been connected to the phone line since I nicked the modem cable from it over a year ago. It's only purpose is to play stupid interactive games and order movies. I just call em up for ppv movies I want to watch and no one says anything to me. Don't know if this is significant but like I subscribe to the £30 a month package with all the channels.
> >
> >
> > Anyone any suggestions why my Digibox had to be plugged into a phone socket to order movies even though the socket was totally dead??
>
>
Digibox Has never been connected to a line for over a year and I have never had a call but if you connect a nine volt battery over certain pins Heh Presto free movies !!!!! aledgedly but Ive never tryed it but I know a man who has and he has had free movies all last christmas never did find out what happened when he reconnected his line some folk say it charges you.

Anyway to answer the question about the otherwise dead line the box only needs to think its connected by seeing volts on the line this is so if the line is busy or faulty it just stores youre movie selections and orders and then I assume charges you next time a successful call goes through. The above scam only works until the memory buffer is full then you have to connect it up and request sky to clear it the chap in question did this and still didnt get charged but i wouldnt like to bet on it

Jim
penguinni
Grafter

> > Yeah. Unplug the modem cable from the back of the digibox. I don't know why or how it works but leaving the modem cable plugged into the digibox but not the phone line does something. So removing it from the picture completely sorts it out I think.
> >
> >
> > > > My DigiBox hasn't been connected to the phone line since I nicked the modem cable from it over a year ago. It's only purpose is to play stupid interactive games and order movies. I just call em up for ppv movies I want to watch and no one says anything to me. Don't know if this is significant but like I subscribe to the £30 a month package with all the channels.
> > >
> > >
> > > Anyone any suggestions why my Digibox had to be plugged into a phone socket to order movies even though the socket was totally dead??
> >
> >
> Digibox Has never been connected to a line for over a year and I have never had a call but if you connect a nine volt battery over certain pins Heh Presto free movies !!!!! aledgedly but Ive never tryed it but I know a man who has and he has had free movies all last christmas never did find out what happened when he reconnected his line some folk say it charges you.
>
> Anyway to answer the question about the otherwise dead line the box only needs to think its connected by seeing volts on the line this is so if the line is busy or faulty it just stores youre movie selections and orders and then I assume charges you next time a successful call goes through. The above scam only works until the memory buffer is full then you have to connect it up and request sky to clear it the chap in question did this and still didnt get charged but i wouldnt like to bet on it
>
> Jim
>

Coincidently, I know a friend of a friend of a friend who did the battery thing for a while and then he couldnt do it anymore 'cos his crdeit limit was reached and then when he reconnected his digibox back into the socket he discovered that it had been vandalised by Ewoks (another story) and didnt work but he still got billed in one go for all the movies he had ordered and thought were free!! Ha Ha. Of course, I do not condone this behavour at all and have struck this person of my Christmas card list.

But can anyone explain it?