cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL not supported

readingg
Grafter

ADSL not supported

BT have come back and said that my telephone line does not support ADSL. Not because I am to far from the exchange (it is only 4.7km) but because of the line loss is over the limit (over 55dB).

This check is apparently a paper exercise.

What can I do to persuade BT to check the actual line loss at the master socket, as I suspect it may well be within limits.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL not supported

They must have done a line test to tell you your line loss was over 55dB. Ask them what the figure was.

If its close to 55 then just keep re-applying until your sucessful. The area I live is on the edge of ADSL and I failed a couple of times before being enabled and one guy locally applied 31 times before success, no joke!
N/A

I had a BT engineer come around to test my line when I applied for ADSL just before Christmas, because the distance from the exchange was borderline. He reported that I was indeed just too far away and so could not have ADSL as things stood, but the requirements might change in a few months. A week or so later I received an email from +plus saying that I was connected, and so I was! A pleasant suprise from BT for once.

There were rumours around that time of a cut-down broadband coming out that would permit longer distances. However, as +plus said when I enquired, these may well just be an internet myth. I don't think there have been many other news stories about it?

So, don't give up all hope :-)

Regards

Michael Beard
West Midlands Job Hunt - http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mbeard
N/A

Doh, I was typing +plus not +net! This forum could really do with an edit function.
gosforth
Grafter

I had a problem when getting connected. A nice lady from BT came out the next day. She had a laptop to check the line, which was working. I was very pleased with the service.

Chris

> BT have come back and said that my telephone line does not support ADSL. Not because I am to far from the exchange (it is only 4.7km) but because of the line loss is over the limit (over 55dB).
>
> This check is apparently a paper exercise.
>
> What can I do to persuade BT to check the actual line loss at the master socket, as I suspect it may well be within limits.

--