cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL not on line -Yes/no?

N/A

Hi there,

I have Plusnet and think it's great. I've installed it in a few relatives houses too. No problems.

Problem though with another install. The house is only 3-4mins walk from me and ADSL was turned on OK (say plusnet) and a neighbour has ADSL.

BT USB modem on a Dell3000. Plusnet say the ADSL is on the line but the modem insists there is no signal. tried absolutely everything I can think of. Changed modems, PCs, cables, disconnected extension lines, using the main socket (renewed that too) and everything else that comes to mind.

Spoke with Plus's tech and they've passed it to BT. The dialup on that line yesterday has dropped to 25k so BT's obviously testing it.

Any ideas? Have missed something?

Many thanks for any comment.
6 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Hmm, sounds similar to a problem I had when installing broadband for a relative. The problem was an early warning system from the war had not been "properly" disconnected from the line so the router said there was no ADSL line connected.

Try following all your house phone cables from the second they come into the house to see if there is anything connected that could be stopping the ADSL getting in.
N/A

Thanks Smiley

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the line to blame somewhere. I'm no expert so I did get a tech engineer to go over everything I'd done. Sadly, he couldn't check to see if ADSL was on the line.

I actually went right back to internal junction box (from outside) and installed a new cable and main box. That's why I think there's not any ADSL on the line -or at least it's not getting to the modem. All the phones (and dialup) work fine too without the filters and PlusNet said that was normal. Hmmm.

I'm going to try today again -just in case. Not that I'll be paying BT since they get £31.50 a quarter and they must do something extra on this occasion for that before trying to make another charge.

If anyone else has any ideas please post. I could be missing something! Smiley
craigbrass
Grafter

Maybe the cable you installed was not ADSL compatable, altho this may sound weird I got a length of cable once and ADSL didn't work accross it.
N/A

That's what my mate thought too so he used 'BT cable' .

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use all of a preceding post as a quote.
N/A

Problem sorted.

Between the external and internal junction boxes there was a 'suppressor unit'.

Once the BT engineer had checked the master he guessed it was the junction box.

He said the suppressor (which looked liked a normal junction box) would probably have been fitted 20+ years ago if the customer had been complaining about noise on the line or BT new about local radio interference.
N/A

BTW, if the Mods are looking at this, the account with the problem was 'adslweb2'.

'dslweb' is me and that's always been fine.

Thanks again to flashasp and Plus CS.