cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL – move or cancel?

N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Hi all,

I signed up with PN in early Nov 05 for Broadband Plus 2Mb monthly contract with ‘free’ activation and modem offer. I have been reasonably happy with the service provided (considering the cost).

I will be moving house (to one that I am pretty sure is on the same exchange) just under 3 weeks from now. As I understand it I have two options:
1. Cancel my account, stump up some more cash (deferred setup and hardware?) and then sign up for a new account with another or same ISP. I will need to pay an extra GBP14.99 for month’s unused subscription due to notice period.
2. Move my account and stay with PlusNet, taking advantage of the You Stay ‘We’ Pay offer.

On the face of it, option 2 sounds better, but it is almost certain that I will be moving again within 2 or 3 years, and possibly within less than a year, in which case I assume that I will still need to pay and I would be back to square one again.

Which of these would people recommend in terms of least (a) cost and (b) hassle?

Ta v much,
Martin
11 REPLIES
Cos2005
Dabbler

ADSL – move or cancel?

Im a premier customer paying 21.99 a month,

i moved house and the broadband was badly delayed as there was an error on plusnets part.

Iv moved a few hundred metres up the road and have dropped from 2mb down to 1mb

:?
shellsong
Grafter

ADSL – move or cancel?

Sounds like you moved in the wrong direction! Wink
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Ta for that - how badly delayed was the switchover and what was the reason given?
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Does anyone have any opinions on my original posting?

One further query: If I stayed with PN and moved my account to new address, how ambitious would it be to keep the same telephone number? I know it takes longer to switch but is the failure rate higher?

(For your information, my new address has a previously working domestic line - which I will use - as well as a couple of business lines that may or may not be still active.)
Community Veteran

ADSL – move or cancel?

you can only take your number with you if your moving to a house thats on the same exchange, you will probably be better to go with option 2, making sure you give all the correct dates for moving, and when BT will have your line ready, if BT are late getting your line ready then it can cause chaos with trying to move you. Also keep checking on PN around the time of the move making sure that they are on course for your move and making sure you keep update with any problems.
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Thanks Andy,
I've checked and the new place will indeed be on the same exchange - is it advisable to keep the same number or would there be fewer problems if I went with the number currently associated with the house?
Community Veteran

ADSL – move or cancel?

its easier for you if you keep the same number, don't have to let everyone know about a change of number etc. Just make sure you contact BT and ensure you make clear what you want and when you want it, keep in close contacrt with them to ensure they do it
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

In case anyone is interested:

In the end I opted to keep the same phone number and stay with PlusNet during my move (choosing the Pay/Stay option) which is scheduled for Easter weekend.

This morning I obtained a Ref. No. for a simultaneous provide from BT and phoned PN. Everything seems OK so far - the £5.88 move fee has been paid so fingers crossed...

I'll post the outcome of the move once completed.
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Here we go - have just received an email from PN Support, including the following text:

Having checked with BT wholesale this is not a simultaneous order reference. But it is probably the order reference for a NON Simultaneous order.
Please check with BT again if they have placed the order as a simultaneous order.
Your options are:
Wait for the line to be installed then we can place an order.
Get BT to cancel & resubmit their order as a PSTN & ADSL Simultaneous order.
* Please also bare in mind that we require 7 working days from when we place the order withBT to the time that your telephone line is installed.
Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Move is set for Sat 15th April. I have not called BT yet. Evil
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

Sorry can't help on that one, but on a similar subject;

When we moved house at the beginning of last year, PN charged us approx £60 I think it was (can't remember exactly) to move the broadband, on the same number as we'd moved that to the new house. Couldn't believe what they charged evne though we were out of contract and could have cancelled and went with another provider for a free setup. They didn't seem too interested though. How's that for being loyal. :lol:
N/A

ADSL – move or cancel?

At this moment in time my experience says cancel.

I've been with PN for several years on the £39.99 bandwidth hog package. A month ago I moved house. My woes began when I tried to use the house move form - apparently my new flat is a business address, so I had to wait 3 days whilst PN got their act together and finally told me to raise the order manually through the ticket system.

So, my ticket is just ignored for a few days. Then I get a series of updates which first shows an activation date of April 3rd. Then a few hours later April 5th.

April 5th went by, so I phoned up to try to find out what's going on. "We'll look into it, please use the contact us form to find out updates."

Great, I'll just use the *magic* internet to do that shall I?

So, another 2 days, a total of nearly 90 minutes on hold listening to awful music, and no new information, just that it's been passed to the delayed order team and I shouldn't expect to hear anything until next week. Oh, and my account billing won't be suspended whilst I'm entirely without service.

It's lucky I've just taken a job in an office, or I would have lost 3 week's worth of being able to earn money.

Thanks a bunch PlusNet.