cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL modem problems so will a router work?

N/A

Basic info required!
I have tried 2 modems (zoom5510 and a Fujitsu) and neither will
install on my old PC - P3/Win98SE.
Zoom suggest reinstalling windows - fat chance.
So I am looking to put a LAN card in and getting a router/modem.

Q1 Any idea whether this will work?

Q2 What router to get?
Most seem to have a limit of 8Mbs - I assume this is megabits so at
8 bits to a byte (any parity bits used?) this is only 1Mbyte per sec.

As I may want to upgrade to a 2Mbyte service - any suggestions on
suitable routers?
Or have I got it all wrong!!!!
Thanks,
Frank Bainbridge
2 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Most routers will support 2Mb no problem. The 8Mb you are referring to is the limit for ADSL (as a technology) and no it actually is 8Mb and not 1Mb (as you worked out with your fancie maths!). So 2Mb ADSL will not be a problem for the router you are looking at.

I have a DG834G (Netgear) and it has been the best, most reliable router I have ever used. Though that is the wireless variant, knock off the G if you don't want Wireless.

It's important when choosing a router to note that there are two types. You can get ADSL Routers which connect to a Modem and then act as a router to connected PCs, or you can get ADSL Routers with built in Modems (so ADSL Modem Routers). The latter are a lot easier to use and only require the one device. My DG834G is a Modem Router.

Another relatively cheep and cheerful router I have used is from ebuyer. Will only set you back around £25 and is very reliable, though the user interface is a little shoddy.

1 Port Version (If you only want to coneect 1 Computer)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5373972997&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...

4 Port Version (For More Computers)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5373972997&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...

The latter of those is what I have used and it's a pretty nifty piece of kit.

Another benefit of having a Router is the connection remains active all the time. So unless you power down the router, the ADSL will be connected. This means that there is no dialling or connecting to do when you turn on the computer. You simply boot up and the internet is 'there'. Something I find convenient.

Anyway, it's late, so hopefully the above is not a load of mumbo jumbo and you understand most of it. If you need a hand, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Liam
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Q1 Any idea whether this will work?

As long as your PC is not so messed up that the LAN card refuses to install.

Q2 What router to get?

I am quite a fan of this one
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-ADSLR4
They are cheap, standards based and do just about anything you might want as far as connecting and routing to ADSL is concerned. However they are not exactly user friendly and don't provide a stateful firewall.

If you want an integrated firewall have a look at this one from Linksys. I have always been impressed with their kit.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?LIN-AG041-

Personally I am not a fan of the D-Link and Netgear domestic products as they play some dirty tricks with protocols. As a network engineer it is highly frustrating to come across kit that will not do what you know it should do, so I avoid it. In fairness the vast majority of people would never have cause to find the limitations.

Most seem to have a limit of 8Mbs - I assume this is megabits so at
8 bits to a byte (any parity bits used?) this is only 1Mbyte per sec.
As I may want to upgrade to a 2Mbyte service
...Or have I got it all wrong!!!!

You have it a little wrong, but of course if it was easy I would be out of a job ;-)

Briefly and simply - Digital transmission speeds are always quoted in Bits per Second - the number of 1s and 0s that can be sent from one end to the other within a one second period. ADSL services are no exception, a 2Meg service refers to 2 million bits per second. You might think that means you can send a 2Mbyte file in 8 seconds, but you would be wrong. The network protocols require various extra bits to be added to the data you are transmitting (your network address, flow control etc). Unless you know a great deal about the transmission method you can only really use line speeds as a relative guide - for instance 2Mbps is around twice as fast as 1Mbps.

As far as ADSL routers go, rest assured that all modern ADSL modems are capable of transmission as fast as the line will physically allow. In fact despite the hundreds of different router models being produced virtually all of them use the same Connexant chipset.

HTH