cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL line limits .... so much for Digital Britain ...

N/A

I've just found out from BT that the line length to the exchange from my house is too long to get anything over a 512 connection. Actaully they said I shouldn't even be able to get that and that the service should be terminated - the only reason they didn't was that I pointed out I'd had a working broadband connection for the last couple of years!

Now, I live in what I would describe as the bounds of the City of Bristol - in fact I live on the biggest housing estate in Europe - so how come my folks (who live in the middle of nowhere) can get a better broadband speed than me living in the biggest housing estate, within the biggest city in the south west.

So much for "Digital Britain", eh BT ... this just plain sucks Cry

Is there anything I can do about this? As far as I can see, my only option is to try to contact BT and get them to stick an exchange on the estate - but I fear this is not likely Sad

Any help or pointers in my quest for a faster broadband would be very much appreicated.

Cheers,
Simon.
Bristol, UK.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Unfortunatly not. If your line stats are very poor, then there is nothing that could be done.

Short of a new exchange, re-routing of wiring (provided they are not already on thebest route) or moving house, absolute zip.

BT unfortunatly can't change the law of phisics in our favour.

As noted above, a re-route is one method, however, that is only if BT determine it is a feasable method and that there is a capacity available. It does however require that your line is in a state of fault, which as you have noted, is working perfectly fine at your current speeds.
N/A

I'm in the same stiuation, can only recive 512. The most iritaing thing is my next door neigbour can recive Meg acording to the BT speed checker, on the pole outside my windows our lines are 3 cm away from each other.

Nether BT or Plus have given me a reason why this is.
N/A

As you're on the outskirts of Bristol you may be able to get Telewest Cable Broadband. That will be your only hope of higher speeds up to 4mb at present. Costly though compared to PlusNet ADSL.