cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL keeps disconnecting me???

N/A

What is happening to my connection??

Since about Friday 12th December, my connection keeps getting dropped all weekend and now seems to be getting worse.

Every 5 minutes the connection drops and have to reconnectHuh??

Anyone know if anything wrong at Plus.net or is it my phone line??
Thanks
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First can you supply your PC spec, windows version and make/model of ADSL modem you are using and how it is connected to your PC.

Have you connected any new phones recently?

Check all phones and your ADSL modem are wired up correctly as described in ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

I am running an Athlon1900 processor, 1gig ram, radeon 8500 graphics card, sounblaster live. All this running on Windows XP and has done since September without any problems. I am using Plus.net supplied Binatone Modem. No I have had no new phones connected or done anything different that might affect the broadband

Suddenly this weekend it decides to keep disconnecting me for some reason, I have it automatically dialing so reconnects straight away without any trouble but only lasts for 2 -40minutes.
Community Veteran

Do you have XP Service Pack 1 installed. That modem needs it for correct operation.

Can't explain why it should start dropping out.

You could ask PlusNet to do a Whoosh test on your line to see if it has degraded for any reason - use the Contact us to request it explaining what you are getting.
N/A

thanks
yeah i do have service pack 1 installed, seems that this was the only way this modem would work anyway.

I am in contact with plus.net support but as yet nothing of help so far.

It is getting very annoying now, disconnected me after only 1minute this tijme, then next time it might last for 5minsSad
N/A

Same here m8 im using win xp pro pci modem, sp1

keeps cutting me off it goes ding,ding then almost reconnects me almost straight away, it was fine last week until a few days ago.

this is happening like every 2 mins.
N/A

This is getting beyond a joke, disconnecting even more regular now.

Plus.net say they have done a test on my line and everything seems find and there log sees nothing off me disconnectingHuh? how come....

So your experiencing same problems, surely this cant be a coincidence, can this be somthing wrong at plus.net but they cant find a fault?
N/A

Same here as well, keeps disconnecting me numerous times a day, been going on for the last week, and like the others I haven't changed anything, very strange and even more annoying. Evil
Community Veteran

To both, make sure you are running the latest firmware for your ADSL modem.

What were the results of the woosh test?
Community Veteran

I'm afraid these problems could all be caused by the modems themselves - it is a known problem that in certain cases, PlusNet's PCI and USB modems will spontaneously decide they want to disconnect every couple of minutes.
However, there are other causes to the problems you're seeing, such as not enough power being supplied by the USB ports, and out of date firmware/drivers.

Thomas
N/A

how can my mdeom suddenly start not getting enough power through the USB port??

Also where can i get the latest drivers or firmware for my Binatone modem??

the test results i was given for the line were and they said it was OK, have reinstalled modem but still the same, what is going onSad
ADSL Status Check

OK

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync

Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss
28 dB
Cell Count

Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss
54.5 dB
Cell Count
N/A

where can i find updated drivers for my pci modem which +net supplied ill try that then.
Community Veteran

Drivers, manuals and install docs for the various plusnet kit can be found here.
N/A

Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss
54.5 dB

Here's your problem, thats a high loss and near the limit on 512k. That is a line issue and can be any physical connection between you and the exchange going faulty. Check you aren't getting any water coming into your master socket via the phone line.
Ianwild
Grafter

I don't suppose any of this co-incides with you guys switching on your Christmas tree lights? We now have four confirmed faults, all starting in the last 2 weeks, where this was the cause of the problem...

Regards,

Ian