cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL keep losing connect for long periods

N/A

Since last Wednesday 10/12/03. My ADSL connect has dropped completely and failed to reconnect for several hours. And this has happened every day since for varying periods, see list below.

Wed 10/12: 7hrs
Thu 11/12: 3hrs
Fri 12/12: 3hrs
Sat 13/12: 2 hrs (a good day)
Sun 14/12: 8 hrs
Mon 15/12: 9hrs+

Normally everything works fine until around 4-5pm and then its Goodbye connection. I work from home and complete rely on a permanent 24/7 connection. I have phones support several times and I have had only one resonpse back which stated taht I was connected for 11 hours and closed the ticket. The 11 hours they were talking about was because the connection came back sometime ring the night.

Has anyone else has this problem and does anyone know a solution. Is it a fault on the line or what? I was told by Plusnet that because BT perform their line test during business hours (when I don't have a problem) there is little they can do.

Anyway, I best submit this before I lose the connection as I'm in the danger period.

raz Evil
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

which hardware?

PCI/USB modem : there prone to failing to reconnect due to driver issues in XP, less so in 2K Pro or 98se
Router: check your logs, see if your getting username & password problems or a total loss of synch to the exchange. Also the dB figures if they exceed 55 or worse 60dB.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Its a Netgear DG824M and I'm runngin Windows 2000 Pro. I can't believe its anything to do with that everything has been running nicely for several months prior and I haven't made any configuration changes to hardware or software.

raz
N/A

As ADP450 said, check the attenuation figures and signal to noise figures. You may not have changed anything hardware and software wise, but the line between you and the exchange is liable to degrade in quality, as are filters and extensions. At this, time of year as the weather gets damp, old copper phone lines and physical connections can start to go mammaries up.
N/A

Re: ADSL keep losing connect for long periods

Since last Wednesday 10/12/03. My ADSL connect has dropped completely and failed to reconnect for several hours. And this has happened every day since for varying periods, see list below.

Wed 10/12: 7hrs
Thu 11/12: 3hrs
Fri 12/12: 3hrs
Sat 13/12: 2 hrs (a good day)
Sun 14/12: 8 hrs
Mon 15/12: 9hrs+

Normally everything works fine until around 4-5pm and then its Goodbye connection. I work from home and complete rely on a permanent 24/7 connection. I have phones support several times and I have had only one resonpse back which stated taht I was connected for 11 hours and closed the ticket. The 11 hours they were talking about was because the connection came back sometime ring the night.

Has anyone else has this problem and does anyone know a solution. Is it a fault on the line or what? I was told by Plusnet that because BT perform their line test during business hours (when I don't have a problem) there is little they can do.

Anyway, I best submit this before I lose the connection as I'm in the danger period.

raz Evil

I've experienced something similar to this just this week. It's taken me four days to suss out what's going on and it appears to be a neighbour's xmas lights!! Honest! I didn't believe it myself. Apparently, getting some 'ferrites' and putting these on the source of the problem should resolve it. More info on Plusnet on ADSLGuide.
N/A

Re: ADSL keep losing connect for long periods

I've experienced something similar to this just this week. It's taken me four days to suss out what's going on and it appears to be a neighbour's xmas lights!! Honest! I didn't believe it myself. Apparently, getting some 'ferrites' and putting these on the source of the problem should resolve it. More info on Plusnet on ADSLGuide.

I can believe it, I have made a comment on a similar thread on this forum. TV's on standby (especially Beko sets), CD players, even other PC's can give off sufficient interference to kill your DSL.
Current european legislation is pretty poor concerning RFI/EMI suppression on devices. The US FCC (Federal Communication Commision) has more stringent laws.
I can tell when my neighbours Samsung TV is on standby, because Channel 5 goes "sparkly". When my PC is on, BBC2 has interference.

I suppose the conclusion is, turn everthing off in your house and turn on items in turn until you loose DSL sync, thats then the problem item. Your neighbours may not be as willing.