cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL hangs

qadesh

ADSL hangs

I can connect to ADSL using USR external USB modem OK. After perhaps 5 minutes (varies), the RECEIVE count simply freezes and I can download any longer. Web browsing, etc causes a few more bytes to be SENT (ie presumably sending the HTTP request) but the connection (or PLUSNET) refuse to RECEIVE any more data.

It is intermittent as to how long it is before it happens, but it is consistent in that it ALWAYS happens.

Any clues?
Mark
--

"There aren't enough hours in the day to be bored"
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: ADSL hangs

> I can connect to ADSL using USR external USB modem OK. After perhaps 5 minutes (varies), the RECEIVE count simply freezes and I can download any longer. Web browsing, etc causes a few more bytes to be SENT (ie presumably sending the HTTP request) but the connection (or PLUSNET) refuse to RECEIVE any more data.
>
> It is intermittent as to how long it is before it happens, but it is consistent in that it ALWAYS happens.
>
> Any clues?
> Mark
>
Possible USB port failure The USB port protects itself if current drawn is higher than 500ma in some cases the Motherboards own USB ports are unable to cope with modern ADSL modems AKA my own Zoom 5510 and AMD 756 chipset fails.

A work around is to purchase a self powered hub about £30 for a 4 port belkin or a PCI USB card again about £30 for a 2 port.

I run mine through a USB 2.0 Card and all my problems disappeared.

Also check youre drivers are the very latest this can make a huge difference

Jim
> --
>
> "There aren't enough hours in the day to be bored"