Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL down most of today?!?

phobox
Grafter

Hi all

Im not usually one to complain, but when things get this bad I get a little annoyed. My ADSL connection has been down for most of today (started early afternoon and is still not working). I have checked equipment at my end and it all checks out, there is nothing wrong here at all, therefore the problem is most definately plusnet's end. I see there are no service announcements at the moment, so does anyone know whats going on? I know ADSL in this country is by nature unreliable but this is getting a little ridiculous now, its certainly not the first time its happened and Im betting not the last.

Thanks,
Rob C.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Everything has been and still is Ok here.
Is your ADSL sync light lit?
phobox
Grafter

I dont have a hardware router or external modem so I dont have sync lights as such, however I can confirm I have sync.. I have also checked my equipment time and time again and there is nothing wrong with it. Still cannot connect now, im posting this from an old dial-up account. The only response I get when attempting to connect ADSL is that the remote computer did not respond. I have the system set on automatic reconnect at the moment, its been trying for 2 hours and still nothing.
Its worked on and off today, but mostly off. However since around 4pm this afternoon Ive not been able to connect at all. I will attempt to connect to the BT test account, and if that works (which im betting it will), then I place blame with either Plusnet or my local exchange (which is unlikely seeing as others in my area have no problems with their ISP's).

Thanks,
Rob.
phobox
Grafter

Update: It seems I cannot login to the BT test account either, which to be honest is very surprising. While checking the data transfer when attempting to connect to either Plusnet or BT_test, I notice Im getting no incoming data at all, only outgoing. I have checked and rechecked all possible settings, I have restarted the machine with the modem multiple times and can find nothing wrong. It syncs fine, it just wont do anything after that.. simply states the remote computer is not responding. Is this my hardware at fault, or is it BT/Plusnet? Bear in mind I've never had a problem to this extent before, Ive always been able to login to BT_test even when plusnet has been down.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Community Veteran

You need to raise a ticket to report your problem.
If you can't get the Bt test site either then it looks like something more than a fault at Plusnet.
If you raise a ticket they can contact BT and try to resolve it for you.
I take it though that you have dome the usual things like re-boot and disconnect Modem from the line for 30 minutes which will reset the line card in your exchange?
phobox
Grafter

It seems for now at least that the problem is solved. I left my server box (the one with the modem) off for an hour, switched her back on and it connected straight away. Then noticed that my router/firewall software (Kerio WinRoute Pro) was stopping outgoing connections for some reason, shut that down and everything is working ok. So at least now I know my equipment wasnt at fault after all.

Thanks for the tip about leaving the system off for 30 mins, that seems to have done the trick. I didnt realise it reset the interface at the exchange, I guess we learn something new every day!

Thanks again.
Rob