cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL dial-up connection?

N/A

ADSL dial-up connection?

HI

I've been using plusnet ADSL for 3 months and am very pleased thanks very much.

But, I have only just noticed that my connection is listed as a dialup connection in >control panel >network connections. Should it be in Broadband? Also maybe a silly question but does everyone when they first connect have to wait a few seconds for the "verifying username and password" box to dissappear?

I am recieving high download speeds upto 74kbs tonight on some downloads, so the adsl is definetly working!

many thanks
doozer
7 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

RE: ADSL dial-up connection?

You have an entry as Dial-up for your ADSL connection because you still have to login to the service using Windows dial-up networking.

I have to wait only a second or two for the verifying username and password box to disappear.
N/A

I have to connect this way, so I was also wondering if this was normal !

My problem is I then have to wait for (literally) 1 minute for it to verify password and enable me to surf.

Is such a long wait normal ? (My previous 56K dial-up only used to take about 10 secs or so to log me in)

Anyone know it there's a setting I can change somewhere ?

Mike.

> You have an entry as Dial-up for your ADSL connection because you still have to login to the service using Windows dial-up networking.
>
> I have to wait only a second or two for the verifying username and password box to disappear.
>

N/A

> I have to connect this way, so I was also wondering if this was normal !
>
> My problem is I then have to wait for (literally) 1 minute for it to verify password and enable me to surf.
>
> Is such a long wait normal ? (My previous 56K dial-up only used to take about 10 secs or so to log me in)
>
> Anyone know it there's a setting I can change somewhere ?
>
> Mike.

Go into the properties of ur dial up connection for adsl and make sure only 'Enable Software Compression' & 'Tcp/Ip' are checked... The connecting will be quicker..
Claremac
Grafter

Hi,
I had this problem too, having to wait 1 min and 10 secs before being logged in - seemed like forever! John Prentice fixed it for me on this forum with the following advice:

"If you edit the connection properties within dial-up networking, and uncheck the box that says "Log on to network", you may find a vast improvement."

Certainly worked for me. HTH.

Regards,

Clare

N/A

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
Just unchecking the 'log on to network' box means it now logs on in about 5 seconds.
What a simple solution - if it's not already, this should definately be on an FAQ list somewhere !
Thanks,

Mike.

> Hi,
> I had this problem too, having to wait 1 min and 10 secs before being logged in - seemed like forever! John Prentice fixed it for me on this forum with the following advice:
>
> "If you edit the connection properties within dial-up networking, and uncheck the box that says "Log on to network", you may find a vast improvement."
>
> Certainly worked for me. HTH.
>
> Regards,
>
> Clare
>
>

N/A

Its a very common problem... it causes problems for all dial up accounts...56k or ADSL modem alike.

Steve

> Thanks to both of you for the advice.
> Just unchecking the 'log on to network' box means it now logs on in about 5 seconds.
> What a simple solution - if it's not already, this should definately be on an FAQ list somewhere !
> Thanks,
>
> Mike.
N/A

lol

same here was taking ages for me to actually log on, and ive just inchecked log on to network and woo 5 secs.
thx all