cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connection - keep open?

N/A

ADSL connection - keep open?

I'm new to ADSL and I just have a small query.

When I have a ADSL connection, do I keep this connected even though I am not logged on or do I stop the connection when not needed. If I keep the connection open, does this count as time logged on.

The reason I ask this is that I have problems sometimes re-connecting the ADSL connection when I have stopped the connection.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL connection - keep open?

> I'm new to ADSL and I just have a small query.
>
> When I have a ADSL connection, do I keep this connected even though I am not logged on or do I stop the connection when not needed. If I keep the connection open, does this count as time logged on.
>
> The reason I ask this is that I have problems sometimes re-connecting the ADSL connection when I have stopped the connection.
>

Hi there,

In this respect ADSL is different to dial-up services, there are no limits on how long you can stay connected so you can leave the connection permanently on if you prefer. We would recommend using some firewall software if you plan to do this or take other security precautions.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

N/A

Thank you. If I leave the connection active but not logged in to Plus Net can others get access to my PC even though I am not logged on. Also, does the open connection do just that (open a port through to my PC). Also, if I shut my PC down, does the ADSL line become disconnected too, and if so, will it be automatically re-activated once my PCX is on again.

Sorry to be a pain!
N/A

Hi,

If you connect the adsl modem directly to your pc, when you shutdown the pc it closes the ports that would allow a hacker to access your pc. The ADSL connection however stays active, so the the moment you switch your pc on, the internet is available. The only reason you'd want to switch the modem off is to conserve electric or to reboot a frozen connection. Smiley

As long as the pc is off, you're safe from hackers. I would however advise you get a firewall.

Matt

> Thank you. If I leave the connection active but not logged in to Plus Net can others get access to my PC even though I am not logged on. Also, does the open connection do just that (open a port through to my PC). Also, if I shut my PC down, does the ADSL line become disconnected too, and if so, will it be automatically re-activated once my PCX is on again.
>
> Sorry to be a pain!

N/A

Thank you very much. That's put my mind at rest - cheers!
N/A

"We would recommend using some firewall software if you plan to do this or take other security precautions."

Or. do this, put a pair of shoes on top of your monitor this shall scare away hackers.
plusnetsux
Grafter

> Or. do this, put a pair of shoes on top of your monitor this shall scare away hackers.

?