cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connection fine but unable to make or receive calls.

N/A

Can anyone please help?

I’ve only just joined Plusnet (hello everyone) and so far have been able to set up my ADSL connection fine ( no synch probs or line drops etc) however no matter what configuration I set up my phone, router, filters I cannot make or receive calls when connected on-line without compromising where I locate the phone.
My current set-up is master socket (no telephony equipment connected to this) >> 1st extension socket>>ADSL filter >>phone>>2nd extension socket>>ADSL filter>>router(no telephony equipment connected here). This set-up does not allow me to make and receive calls (ie no dial tone) although the internet connection is working without any prob.
I have tried all kinds of different combinations and the only way I can get to be on-line and send and receive calls at the same time is if my phone is connected into the same ADSL filter as the router. If I bring the pc and router down to either the master or 1st extension socket and as long as the phone is connected to the same socket(be it master or 1st extension) and filter as the router I can make and receive calls. Can anyone think what I have done wrong as this surely cant be right - I have read and re-read the ADSL wiring and filters tutorial but cannot work out what gives or indeed if there is something up with the extension wiring itself (this was allegedly professionally installed by a local electrician – not me!) or filters. My phone is a cordless DECT phone so in theory I can keep the base charger unit on the 2nd extension socket where the pc & router is and use the phone around the house. Then when I go out or overnight or just when the battery runs low I suppose, I need to remember to carry the phone back to the top floor to recharge the phone. …at least this is keeping me fit I suppose! I would prefer to have the phone & phone base unit at the 1st extension socket. Any ideas what could be wrong or should I just accept this configuration for an easy life?
P.S. Thanks for reading this.
6 REPLIES
N/A

First off, welcome to the forums.

Are you able to make a small diagram of your setup and upload it to some webspace?

Your setup implies that you have performed a double filter, which may explain your issues, though I must admit, the filter setup explained would mean the internet should not work.

Can you also explain which sockets on the filters goto what?
N/A

Hi i'm at work at the mo, so will do this when i get in tonight, if okay.
Community Veteran

Also check out this tutorial it will give you examples of how to have your wiring and filters correctly set up.
N/A

John and Phil
Sorry for the delay. I'm in now. I've read those wiring/filters tutorial several times but cant seem to work out what's wrong. Please check http://www.jandmbensham.plus.com/ where i've uploaded my set-up. Let me know if there is any more info you need from me and thanks again in advance for any help you can give us.
hitachi
Grafter

That setup looks ok.
Can you try just the phone in both microfilters with no router connected in case 1 filter is borked
You dont have a sky system or intruder alarm on the phone circuit at all do you?
Otherwise the likely culprit is the wiring between the sockets.
N/A

Yes, i have a working phone with both microfilters if the router is disconnected so presumably there is nowt wrong with the filters and the wiring is at fault. However what i'm confused about is why my internet connection is not affected in some way shape or form as well...and why the phone only works at the same filter and socket that the router is sited at. I do have a Sky system however this is not connected to a phone socket since i am well out the 1st year contract so dont need this in. ...plus it takes away the temptation for the the kids to order up the movies, pizzas and anything else that takes their fancy via the sky remote. Either way, i guess it's time to call back out that friendly local electrician!