cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connection dropping

N/A

ADSL connection dropping

Before I raise a ticket (and open myself up to a potential bill from BT) I'd like some advice on my ADSL problems.
I have a Dlink G604T which has been faultless for a year now. I'm on a 2Meg ADSL service.

3 days ago it started dropping the ADSL connection, sometimes I get a good solid connection then it will fail to connect for a few hours.

Also the BT phone line has "crackle" sounds on it. So I strongly suspect the phone line has been damaged.

The attenuation figures reported by the dlink are 56 and 63dB - if this is true then I shouldn't be getting a 2Mb connection, surely?!

So far I've tried 3 different splitters. No difference. The house phone line has 4 "BT" marked boxes on it, so tonight I plan to remove all but the one nearest the outside world. Sound sensible?

Simon
11 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

Hi there,

I have you have crackle on the phone line the first step I would take would be to raise a voice fault with BT Retail.

When doing so, do not, if at all possible, mention ADSL. Just tell them that you have noise / crackles on the line when using the phone. The voice side will have to be checked before PN can raise any adsl fault to BT Wholesale.

Certainly your current line stats should not support 2mb, going by BT's current rules. Perhaps once the line noise is dealt with this will reduce.
Community Veteran

ADSL connection dropping

Shouldn't you remove any and all other equipment inc your adsl link to PC from the BT sockets, leaving only your phone, then see if the crackle is still present first??
Well I would anyhow!

Sounds like a filter or other interferance to me, and removing everything and working from the ground up so to speak seems the logical way to go b4 contacting BT
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

I have removed all extra extension sockets, and the crackle is still on the voice line. BT are on their way...

Simon
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

Excellent. Hope you get sorted soon.

Let us know how you get on.
Community Veteran

ADSL connection dropping

Cool! Cool
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

Well BT have been, replaced some wire from the wall socket to an outside junction box. And closed the fault "ticket". Surprise surprise the problem is still there, ie a crackle on the line!!

Whats really ironic is that they reconnected the internal house wiring I'd condemned...

I have found that when my router disconnects I can get it to reconnect by picking up the phone and putting it back down again. SO I'll see how it goes for a day or 2 before I open a new BT fault...

Simon
Community Veteran

ADSL connection dropping

:roll: :? You mean to tell me the engineer didn't even check to see if the work he carried out actualy cleared the crackleHuh?? WTH! That's ridiculous!
What a waste of your time!
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

kipper,

If the issues remains, you will need to inform Plus net fairly soon, so that they can reject BT's fault clearance. That would be better than raising a new issue.
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

OK, since BT have had their chance and not fixed it via the "voice" service, I have raised a ticket with plusnet.

What I still can't understand is the high attenuation figures my router reports (around 60dB) , and yet I can get 2Meg broadband when it does connect!

fingers crossed,

Simon
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

kipper,

Ignore my previous ramble.

I had forgotten that you had raised the initial issue yourself with Retail as it was a voice fault.

Be prepared, with stats like that, to be downgraded to a speed your line can handle. BT may prove sticky when it comes to that one. Although you have been provisioned at that speed, it wont be stable enough, according to BT's reckoning.

Good luck getting it sorted.
N/A

ADSL connection dropping

I can live with a lower speed, so long as its stable!

Simon