cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connection and phone line - help!

N/A

Hi all

Got connected to plus.net in June and up until the weekend had no problems at all (apart from the wireless connection sometimes - which I believe is a common problem).

However, last week the DSL light went off the router, no internet connection and a lot of interference on the phone line. I have a cordless phone which worked fine up until last week!

Eventually got the internet working again but it is a lot slower and as soon as I make a call on the land line (still with interference) the internet connection is lost!!!! The phone is a couple of meters away from the wireless router.

Can anyone help - could it be the microfilter? I got two when I connected and the same happens with both.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Can anyone help? Please Cry
Community Veteran

It could indeed be the filter. Work through this tutorial and see if that sorts it.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
N/A

Hi,
Sounds you like you may have a bad connection due to faulty wiring this can cause loss of ADSL when the phone is used. Try by a process of elimination to find whether its something internal or your phone line.

If you are using an extension phone cable unplug it at the master socket, just plug the phone in at the master socket, nothing else, no filter or router, do you still have interference on the line if so you have a problem with your line and need to report it to BT.

If its clear plug the router in directly to the socket without filter or phone, does your internet connection now work? (you only need a filter when the phone is plugged in)

If ok try filter in master socket and once again try phone without router, then router without phone if ok try with both connected.

If all is OK at the master socket then you have faulty extension cable
N/A

Hi, thanks for the advice people.

The phone does not run off any extension. I have tried just plugging the phone in and nothing else and there is still interference. Going to try this evening with a non-cordless phone and see if that works.

Bought a new filter and still the same problem.

Will keep trying but any other advice much appreciated!

Thanks
N/A

Check with a non-cordless phone, if you are sure that nothing else is plugged in to the line except your phone and you have interference/noise on the line you have a line fault which you need to report to BT on 0800 800 151
Community Veteran

I thought you could just dial 150, or am I going mad...
N/A

Hi

I thought you could just dial 150

The 0800 number is listed in my latest phone book as BT faults for residential customers.

:?
N/A

Did all this happen when it rained? A lot of faults like this happen when the phone line gets wet at the Green Box. It often goes ok when it dries out. Or it can be the other way round it gets better with rain.

Report it online and it will test the line in 90 seconds and show you were the fault is.

https://www.bt.com/feedback/feedback.jsp

It can show the fault to about 3 feet very clever
Community Veteran

Hi

I thought you could just dial 150

The 0800 number is listed in my latest phone book as BT faults for residential customers.

:?

I'm going mad then...
N/A

I'm going mad then...

Join the club

Cheesy
N/A

Did all this happen when it rained? A lot of faults like this happen when the phone line gets wet at the Green Box. It often goes ok when it dries out. Or it can be the other way round it gets better with rain.

Report it online and it will test the line in 90 seconds and show you were the fault is.

https://www.bt.com/feedback/feedback.jsp

It can show the fault to about 3 feet very clever

Connection just hags when I try and do the test to BT and report a fault, have to re-boot the router to get connection re-set - all very odd?
N/A

Ring BT and as for a metallic loop line test.

If the connection is lost when you send/receive a call you may have a 'High Open' fault which basically means that either the wires on your line are touching/damaged or oxidised.

When you phone BT explain that it is static on the line all the time and try not to mention the fact you have broadband unless they ask. As soon as you mention broadband BT will fob you off back to your ISP.
essenby
Grafter

Re: ADSL connection and phone line - help!

. .up until . . . had no problems at all . . .a lot of interference on the phone line.

This sounds VERY similar to my experience. All was working well until last night.
1 Now my Speedtouch will not connect - it reports no dial tone.
2.I f I try to use the phone I can hear what sounds like a dial tone (slightly distorted and with 'ghost' conversations faint in the background) but the phone will not dial.
3, If I ring in to the phone, I get a continous ring rather than the usual "brrrr - brrrr".
4, I can pick up the line and hear the other end, but the 'funny' dial tone is still there as well!

I've only got 2 extentions, 1 with the phone (cordless) and microfilter and the other with the Speedtouch and microfilter. I've disconnected each and with the Sppedtouch out, the phone is the same and with the phone out, the Speedtouch still won't connect!

BT have checked the line and they tell me that the problem lies with something I have connected!. I will try tonight just plugging things into the master socket individually but I'm reasonably certain I won't have any luck.

Any of this familiar to anyone - any suggestions?

BJ
N/A

lol! I used to hear ghost conversations too! They may be still there! I'll go and listen.