cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL cease & provide

N/A

ADSL cease & provide

Hi

My current situation is..claranet ADSL will cease on 7th May. Plusnet have told me that they cannot order the new connection due to services that are currently on the line that are incompatible with ADSL (probably my claranet ADSL connection).
Plusnet cannot test my line for compatibiltiy with a 2mb connection because "claranet own the circuit*. I am not going to ask Clara to do the test for obvious reasons.

If once my clara connection ceases, I find that my line is incompatible for 2mb, does that mean that the 1mb connection will also be incompatible ??

Assuming the above, as I've already had 512 adsl, I would be ok to connect with plusnet on a 512 line with a lower contention ratio.. correct ??

--
David Smith (Surrey)
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL cease & provide

The higher the speeds you want to obtain from DSL, the less line loss needed.

Thus, 1mb may be obtainable where 2mb isn't.

As for contention ratios. Ratios depict the amount of people sharing bandwidth between the exchange and the ISP. These only effect the amount of burtable bandwidth available at any given time. IE, if all 20 users are bursting full bandwith, many of the conections will slow down. The ratio doesn't effect what DSL service/provider you can use, or the speed.
N/A

> Thus, 1mb may be obtainable where 2mb isn't.

As a rule, BT don't differentiate between this, although techncially they should. As it stands though if you live more than 3.5KM from your exchnage you will probably be able to get 512K, but not a 1MB or 2MB connection.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> > Thus, 1mb may be obtainable where 2mb isn't.
>
> As a rule, BT don't differentiate between this, although techncially they should. As it stands though if you live more than 3.5KM from your exchnage you will probably be able to get 512K, but not a 1MB or 2MB connection.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

How would i go about finding out how far away i am from my exchange?
N/A

>> How would i go about finding out how far away i am from my exchange?

Theres no easy way, unless you can befriend a local BT engineer. There is something called the 17070 test, but I'm not sure if this still works. See http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=beginners#Q9

Otherwise, I'm left with ADSLGuides advise:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=beginners#Q73

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support