cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and student houses

N/A

ADSL and student houses

I am in the process of buying my second house to rent out to students, and the new tenants have expressed an interest in having internet access

now with it being a student house, its likely that between july and sept the house would be empty - is there any way that I can temp suspend the account if this is so?? I assume if I went with a monthly contract, I'd have to cancel and restart it, which would mean paying a reconnection feeHuh

RK out!!
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL and student houses

Unfortunately that would be the case. Your line would have to be ceased and then re-enabled at a cost to yourself.

I am assuming that you would be opting for a high usage or premier account option given that there will be a number of users. (On another note, you might like to consider a higher speed, if they're likely to use it simultaneously)

What you could do, is keep the account on Premier while they're there and downgrade to the 'Lite' package (which is £14.99.month regardless of speed, or at least, will be from tomorrow) when the house is empty. That way you wont be paying as much for it.

I believe you may have to give a period of notice for the up/downgrades in usage (30 days or something). But if you time it right, it could work out how you want. I don't believe there is any charge for changing your usage level, it's definately free from Lite to Premier, I think it's the same the other way round - can anyone confirm?

Cheers,
Liam
N/A

ADSL and student houses

there will be 4 ppl using it, so I'll be opting for the 2mb line where possible

as long as there is no charge to swap packages, I may well do that

it wont be getting done until june/july anyway, so hopefully the prices will have dropped by then anyway
N/A

ADSL and student houses

A point worth bearing in mind, is that from my knowledge only one person can actually sign up for the connection. This mean potentially in law, they are liable for anything the connection is used for.
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL and student houses

Yeah that is a good point. If you sign up for it, then any illegal activity on the account comes back to you. Perhaps the P2P Switchoff comes in handy here! You may be able to get your tenants to sign a disclaimer? I'm not entirely sure on the in's and out's of it.
N/A

ADSL and student houses

Sadly since many P2P programs now use random ports, I'm not sure the surf option will work in every case. From what I've heard, it doesn't work with Bit Torrent either.

I guess this particular suituation is becoming more common, it's something a student last year raised as a point of concern.

At the mo, I guess it's all a bit of gray area, and any letters would be sent to the person who signed up.
Community Veteran

ADSL and student houses

I don't believe there is any charge for changing your usage level, it's definately free from Lite to Premier, I think it's the same the other way round - can anyone confirm?

Lite to premier is free if your speed does not change. Premier to lite will cost £14.99, again if your speed does not change. If a speed change is also included the costs are higher: £14.99 lite -> premier, £24.99 premier -> lite.
Community Veteran

ADSL and student houses

Unless you are living in the house and using it yourself you can not get internet access on thier behalf. You will be efectivly reselling the service and it would also be classed as business use, so you will be in breech of the t+cs.

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL and student houses

Is that true? I know of other ISPs that will allow the person paying for it, setting it up etc... to live at a different address.

I set up the internet with Demon for my girlfriend's house. It's for her to use, but I'm paying for it, registered to my address etc... There was an option to do that when I signed up.

I would have set it up with Plusnet had it not been for the fact Demon was 2 quid cheaper per month with free activation and free modem.